• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 mlabbe

mlabbe
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DWbridetobe
    teshy! Thanks. I'm American and my FI is Canadian. We're going to be settling here in the Toronto area, and I'm so confused as to where to even begin!
    DH is American and I'm Canadian. He does have his Permanent Residence card though. We had no issues at customs in the US and in Canada coming back, they didn't ask any questions about the wedding.

If he doesn't have his card, going through customs won't give you the option to get his paperwork started - you'll need to get on the government's website and download all of the paperwork. It took us 9 months after applying for his paper to come through, so it takes quite a long time!

Best of luck, let me know if you have questions!

#12 teshy1

teshy1
    • 162 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by mlabbe
      DH is American and I'm Canadian. He does have his Permanent Residence card though. We had no issues at customs in the US and in Canada coming back, they didn't ask any questions about the wedding.

If he doesn't have his card, going through customs won't give you the option to get his paperwork started - you'll need to get on the government's website and download all of the paperwork. It took us 9 months after applying for his paper to come through, so it takes quite a long time!

Best of luck, let me know if you have questions!
      You're right -- applying for permanent resident status has to be undertaken on your own. The waiting is the worst part. It took me 6 months to find out immigration had made a decision in my case but 8 months until I was formally granted PR status. I'm still waiting on my PR card...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users