Photo

Immigration after a DW

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DWbridetobe

DWbridetobe
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone on the board has had to deal with immigration issues after having their wedding.

I have checked multiple sources, but after the general information I always end up with the "Consult an immigration lawyer" line... Aurgh! So frustrating!

Any advice or stories would be appreciated! I'm particularly looking for US and Canadian immigration.

#2 mlabbe

mlabbe
    • 784 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

What kind of immigration issues are you concerned / wondering about?

#3 Sax Lady

Sax Lady
      • 265 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

I will be dealing with this also after our wedding but its US/Jamaica. My friend gave me this website to check out. It has a lot of information on it with people going through the process from all countries. Hope it helps VisaJourney.com

#4 Sloan

Sloan
        • 1,279 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:03 AM

None. We live in Canada (London, ON) we got hitched in Jamaica. No problems with immigration. When we flew back home into Pearson the immigration officers asked us why we were in Jamaica, we said vacation and to get married, he said congrats and we carried on. You don't have to apply for a marriage license once you get back home to Canada. Your Jamaican marriage is legal and binding here. No need to do anything extra (except name change stuff if you plan to change your name)

#5 Girasole

Girasole
          • 757 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

I always use travel.state.gov to find information but it depends on what you are looking for. The only issue we had with immigration is we had to go to a different line because we were on a farm horseback riding & it was slow! Luckily we had long enough between flights it wasn't an "issue".
            Chrissy & Jeremiah's Blog with Pictures...

http://www.brilliant....island-escape/

#6 loua4

loua4
            • 397 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Oh! i didnt even think of this issue. Thanks for posting it!

#7 teshy1

teshy1
              • 162 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

DW bride to be, is there a specific concern you have regarding immigration? I may be able to weigh in on this, as I've gone through a lot of paperwork with CIC in the past few years. Feel free to PM me, as well.

#8 DWbridetobe

DWbridetobe
                • 914 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

teshy! Thanks. I'm American and my FI is Canadian. We're going to be settling here in the Toronto area, and I'm so confused as to where to even begin!

#9 teshy1

teshy1
                  • 162 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by DWbridetobe
                    teshy! Thanks. I'm American and my FI is Canadian. We're going to be settling here in the Toronto area, and I'm so confused as to where to even begin!
                    DWBridetoBe, I've sent you a personal message on this -- hope it went through.

The whole immigration thing can be very overwhelming! Bottom line, if you get married in Jamaica and have your wedding certificate with you in Canada, you'll be recognized as legally married, but whether that means you have a legal right to be in Canada (since you're a citizen of a different country) is a different matter.

#10 Sax Lady

Sax Lady
                    • 265 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

did you get to check out VisaJourney - Your US Immigration Community

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users