Jump to content


What is involved in getting legal married in the states before a ceremony in Mexico?

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rodent


    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

    Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

    I just realized that before I reserve my wedding date, I should make sure I know how this works. I have decided to just get legally married here before leaving and then have a ceremony in Mexico. Do you just go down to the courthouse & sign something a week or two before we leave? We are living in North Carolina, but were born in Texas. I don't know if the rules vary by state.

    Who do I call? My county courthouse?

    My hotel requires that you get there 5 days in advance for a legal ceremony. I want more time after the wedding, but I don't want to stay in mexico over 7 days. That is one of the main reasons why I decided to get married at home.

    #2 MikkiStreak

    • VIP Member
    • 2,347 posts

      Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

      I you both just need to go to the courthouse and apply for a license and find someone (minister, lawyer, judge) who can marry you. Then you take the license back to the courthouse to be filed.

      This is my assumption tho---- if you do a google search for "getting married in (enter city, state)", you should come across the courthouse website with details on what your state requires....

      #3 rodent


        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

        Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

        Thanks. I did that google & it looks like we just have to go see a magistrate at the courthouse. I also read to being cash. Its about $50.

        I just wanted to make sure signing the paperwork here before we go wouldn't be difficult before I put a deposit for my wedding in mexico.

        #4 Can'tHardlyWait

        • Member
        • 812 posts

          Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

          Our wedding in mexico is not going to be legal, just religious. I am actually going down to the courthouse to file my marriage license with FI today (WOO HOO!!!). After we get the license, we have to wait 3 days and then we are going to a justice of the peace to marry us legally.

          A little side note: Your FI has to be with you when you pick up the wedding license. I didn't realize this and thought I could pick it up and bring it home to fill out

          #5 rodent


            VIP Member

          • VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

            Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

            So it takes 2 steps? You can't just go to the courthouse & do it in one day? These are the things I wanted to make sure I knew. I wouldn't want to show up the day before we fly out & learn this.

            #6 DreaW

            • Banned
            • 2,462 posts

              Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

              i know here in Orange county we filled out the application on line and set up an appointment to do wed cert and wedding ceremony at courthouse on the same day.

              Our appointment is on the 20th at 3pm

              #7 rodent


                VIP Member

              • VIP Member
              • 18,759 posts

                Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

                great, i'll check that out for NC. I love doing anything online I can to avoid driving, parking & waiting.

                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users