Photo

Changing your name

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 jh17

jh17
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

I was having the same issue finding this information. I want to add my maiden name as a middle name and take my husband's name as my last name but apparently to do that I need to legally change my middle name.... who would have thought it would have been this difficult and confusing?! I am not sure what I am going to do now b/c I don't want to drop my maiden name completely and I don't want to hyphen my last name but changing my middle name will also change my birth certificate (so my last name will show as my middle name and my last name on my birth certificate....) plus to legally change your name in Alberta you need to go for fingerprints, etc.
    thanks for all the info!

#12 SSNM

SSNM
    • 675 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jh17
      I was having the same issue finding this information. I want to add my maiden name as a middle name and take my husband's name as my last name but apparently to do that I need to legally change my middle name.... who would have thought it would have been this difficult and confusing?! I am not sure what I am going to do now b/c I don't want to drop my maiden name completely and I don't want to hyphen my last name but changing my middle name will also change my birth certificate (so my last name will show as my middle name and my last name on my birth certificate....) plus to legally change your name in Alberta you need to go for fingerprints, etc.
      thanks for all the info!

No problem!

Actually, I am just going to tack my FI's name onto my own without a hyphen. That should not require a formal name change. Although I will still have my original middle name, I plan on using my maiden name professionally and my FI's last name in all other context. Officially, though, it will be as if it was hyphened without it being hyphened.

#13 SusanJeff2008

SusanJeff2008
      • 160 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

I hope everything worked out. I am still debating what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users