Photo

Changing your name

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SSNM

SSNM
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

I was wondering how crazy one can go with the name change once you are married.

1. Can you drop your middle name or add another name that is not necessarily your FI's name? I was thinking of incorporating my family name as well as my FI's name.

2. Can the groom do a name change and do the same as above?

Thanks for the insight

#2 super19

super19
    • 1,123 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

I really think you can do it however you would like. It's your name, feel free to change it in the way that works best for yo uand your FI.

#3 SSNM

SSNM
      • 675 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the response!

What I wanna know is, can you really CHANGE your name? Like, I am talking incorporating my mother's maiden name for myself and my FI potentially dropping one of his given names.

Could we change our names completely if we wanted to?

#4 BachataBride

BachataBride
        • Banned
        • 9,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'm not sure the documentation you would need for that. To do a name change without any specific reason (marriage, adoption, etc) I think you would need to apply through your local government - I don't think it can be done in conjunction with the marriage. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works.

#5 Tam

Tam
          • 551 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

A groom can totally change his name too.. I know of a couple where the groom took the bride's last name and didn't tell anyone until they announced it after they kissed in the church... I wasn't there, but apparently there were quite a few gasps.

You can make your name whatever you want even if you never married!

#6 BachataBride

BachataBride
            • Banned
            • 9,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

I found this link for you...
              http://www.crcvc.ca/......0my name.pdf

#7 SSNM

SSNM
              • 675 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by BachataBride
                I found this link for you...
                http://www.crcvc.ca/......0my name.pdf
                Thanks Amanda! That is a pretty comprehensive document. It seems to apply specifically to people who are not marrying but just need to change their name for security reasons.

I guess I will make a call tomorrow to inquire about this. When I get my response, I will post it here.

#8 RedHeadBride

RedHeadBride
                • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

I believe you can change your name to whatever you want. My college roommate's parents didn't like either of their names, so they just chose something completely new to go by! It is not traditional, but it is legal.
                  22 booked!

#9 vlynnw

vlynnw
                  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

You can easily change your name after getting married to your husband's last name but if you want to change any other part of your name you need to do it through the government and it typically requires you to go to a court session.
                    Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#10 SSNM

SSNM
                    • 675 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Okay so I called the officials to figure it out to what extent can one change their name on the basis of marriage. The final verdict is:

1. Wife changing last name to that of husband: Yes; once the marriage certificate is received use this to show to all the places where you want your ID to be changed.

2. Add spouse's last name to your own (hyphened or no): Yes; once the marriage certificate is received use this to show to all the places where you want your ID to be changed.

3. Wife adding a new name to her own that is not her husband's name: No; one must do a legal name change which requires an application and approval. The cost is $137.

4. Change or drop first or middle name: No; one must do a legal name change which requires an application and approval. The cost is $137.

5. Husband changing last name to that of wife: No.(surprising, eh)? He must do a legal name change which requires an application and approval. The cost is $137.

This is for Ontario; it may be different in other provinces/countries.

Thanks everyone for your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users