Jump to content


Marriage Certifiacate Problems!!!

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ltwillia

  • Newbie
  • 20 posts

    Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

    Ok so here is my experience with the wedding certificate. We were married July 15, 2009 at SGO. I received our certificate about 1 week ago. So going back, I called the 888-Sandals number and asked them what is the status. They would ask me the wedding date and location and when I told they looked at the calendar and said they said, It takes 8-10 weeks. On week 10 I called and they said "Oh it is going to take 10-12 weeks." I called back 2 days later and they said that it was received and shipped to me. I also got an e-mail and a call from UPS making sure that I knew the shipment was coming and that someone had to be there to sign for the package. So I would continue to call them and speak with someone in the weddings department to see what is going on.

    Another problem I am having, here in Texas, is that it is not an official U.S. document. So when I took it to the Social Security office they changed my name with no problem. When I took it to the driver's license office she sent me to the justice of the peace. They told me they do not translate these documents to U.S. documents so I would have to apply for a marriage license, wait 72 hours, come back and be married by the judge, then wait 1 week and get a copy of the new license and take that to the DL office to have my name changed then. I was rather furious after that!!! I called over to Sandals to see if they can send me an official U.S. document and they told me no because I was not married in the U.S. She kept trying to reassure me that the marriage is legal here in the States and I needed to go to the Social Security office to register my marriage. Eventually, after a day of frustration, found out that when she said register my marriage she means change my last name with the SS office 1st then when I get the new SS card, take that to the DL office and they will then change my name. I have not found out yet how that is going to work with the passport people. For my CHL the lady I spoke with was not sure but after holding for 15 minutes I finally got the ok that they will accept this document. Hopefully I will not have anymore problems.

    Sorry for being so long winded but I guess I needed to vent.

    Please tell me how other people have resolved these issues.

    The last thing is (God forbid) but what if we wanted a divorce...where would you start? (I don't want this question answered but it is just crazy!!!) They reassured me that this would not be a problem but LOOK...HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!

    #2 bosi

    • Newbie
    • 131 posts

      Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

      Originally Posted by TA Maureen
      A Jamaica marriage license is legally binding in the US. I am not sure what documents you need in TX to change your last name on your license but here you could do it without even showing your marriage cert. because your SS card is changed already. You could show them birth cert. photo ID and SS card.

      EDIT: Oh wait I see you fiured it out. Yep, in general you need to get your name changed with SS first and they do recogniza a Jamaica marriage license as legal. then you can change your license and documents.

      Once all that is done you should not have any trouble updating your passport.
      What if I dont change my name? Wold I need to do anything here in the US to certify that we are married?

      0 user(s) are reading this topic

      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users