Photo

Marriage Certificate ROR

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ana Alvarez

Ana Alvarez
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

Quick ? for anyone that has been married there. Do you have to do anything after or before for this marriage cert to be valid in the USA?
    Ana

#2 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 12,193 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

As far as I know you don't have to do anything before or after your wedding & your marriage in Jamaica is legal in the US. You can check with your state's County Clerks office just to confirm.
      If you are changing your name you won't be able to do so legally until after you receive your official marriage certificate from ROR which should be within 3 months of your wedding. Once I received mine, I was able to get my new social security card & drivers license.
      You will receive a temporary certificate before you leave ROR.

If you need more info regarding ROR, be sure to check out the Jamaica part of the forum. There is alot of info there.

#3 ShelbyFL

ShelbyFL
      • 211 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

We just left ROR and received a "temporary" marriage certificate. We were told this is not valid in the US, you need to have the Official Certificate for it to be legal in the US. They told us we should receive it in approx 2 months. Then you file it in the county you live in and that's it! :-)

#4 drbrainfreeze

drbrainfreeze
        • 813 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

I actually had no issues at the SS Office with my official certificate. When I brought the certificate to the DMV in NC (Charlotte), I was told that they cannot accept the certificate since its from out of the country and sent me off with a Name Change affadavit that needed to be notarized. Luckily my bank is next door to the DMV office..very aggrivating after waiting in line for 30 mins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users