Sign in to follow this  
Ana Alvarez

Marriage Certificate ROR

As far as I know you don't have to do anything before or after your wedding & your marriage in Jamaica is legal in the US. You can check with your state's County Clerks office just to confirm.

If you are changing your name you won't be able to do so legally until after you receive your official marriage certificate from ROR which should be within 3 months of your wedding. Once I received mine, I was able to get my new social security card & drivers license.

You will receive a temporary certificate before you leave ROR.

If you need more info regarding ROR, be sure to check out the Jamaica part of the forum. There is alot of info there.

We just left ROR and received a "temporary" marriage certificate. We were told this is not valid in the US, you need to have the Official Certificate for it to be legal in the US. They told us we should receive it in approx 2 months. Then you file it in the county you live in and that's it! :-)

I actually had no issues at the SS Office with my official certificate. When I brought the certificate to the DMV in NC (Charlotte), I was told that they cannot accept the certificate since its from out of the country and sent me off with a Name Change affadavit that needed to be notarized. Luckily my bank is next door to the DMV office..very aggrivating after waiting in line for 30 mins!