Photo

Decorating - making dinner more intimate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cjaruba

cjaruba
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hi All -- I'm desperate for decorating ideas! At the moment we have a great resort however the area where dinner is going to be is just a large-ish lawn. The resort grounds are really pretty but this lawn is in the middle and I'm looking for ways to create some intimacy. We'll have a group of about 35 seated at 2 long tables. The idea I love is a bamboo and fabric canopy draped over the tables, however resources on Aruba are limited so I need to come up with a Plan B. Anyone have ideas that won't break my budget? I know can't get privacy but want to somehow make it more cozy. My next best idea is a tight perimeter of tiki torches to help delineate the space. Thanks!
    Aruba Bride to Be, Fall 09
    www.ourarubawedding.com

#2 march132010

march132010
    • 1,057 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by cjaruba
      Hi All -- I'm desperate for decorating ideas! At the moment we have a great resort however the area where dinner is going to be is just a large-ish lawn. The resort grounds are really pretty but this lawn is in the middle and I'm looking for ways to create some intimacy. We'll have a group of about 35 seated at 2 long tables. The idea I love is a bamboo and fabric canopy draped over the tables, however resources on Aruba are limited so I need to come up with a Plan B. Anyone have ideas that won't break my budget? I know can't get privacy but want to somehow make it more cozy. My next best idea is a tight perimeter of tiki torches to help delineate the space. Thanks!
      Candles always make things intimate--- they cheap tooo!!!!!!!

#3 boven

boven
      • 193 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

Are there trees on the property? If so perhaps you can hang flowing fabric between the trees to "frame" your reception space. This wouldn't cost much and you could even bring fabric with you. You could also hang candles from trees to create an intimate feeling.

If trees don't work well for you, perhaps you could get tiki torches and you can square off your space and have your two reception tables in between. I would also consider decorative luminaries leading a path to your tables.

#4 TerpsOfTheCaribbean

TerpsOfTheCaribbean
        • 33 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

Does the resort have any potted topiaries that they would be willing to relocate?

#5 cjaruba

cjaruba
          • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately Aruba is SUPER windy so candles are tough but I did find a wedding planner that is going to come through for us and invest in a canopy - yay! I like the idea of making a perimeter of tiki torches - I'll definitely have to do that. Wish I could hang stuff from trees but they are giant palms which might be difficult. Thanks again.
            www.ourarubawedding.com

#6 JOSIE

JOSIE
            • 1,792 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

I love the tikki torches idea...but how will you get them all down there or do you plan on buying them there? This might sound a little crazy but what about beach chairs? You could line them up and drape towels or fabric over them could be weird but also beachy and cute!

#7 BlakleyBrideToBe

BlakleyBrideToBe
              • 2,115 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

I'm using tikki torches and candles!

#8 cjaruba

cjaruba
                • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Well the resort has tiki torches and luckily they are only $5 each. I don't know how many they have though cause I'm thinking I'd like some drama, using maybe 100 outlining the reception space and walk up to it. Another thing I want to do is set up a 'lounge space'. Furniture rentals have been hard to come by, but worst case an area with some lounge chairs might at least be something. I want guests to be able to find a more comfortable seat to watch the festivities and chat if they don't want to dance. (I especially want older guests to be able to find a seat more comfortable than plastic folding chairs.) I hadn't thought of draping them with fabric though - great idea! The hotels lounges are red and I'd really prefer white. Thanks!

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by JOSIE
                  I love the tikki torches idea...but how will you get them all down there or do you plan on buying them there? This might sound a little crazy but what about beach chairs? You could line them up and drape towels or fabric over them could be weird but also beachy and cute!

www.ourarubawedding.com

#9 Danyelle

Danyelle
                  • 368 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

what about encircling the area with a million of those battery operated glowy candles?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users