Jump to content


Do you have to bring all legal docs for a DR wedding?

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 karenk77

  • Jr. Member
  • 369 posts

    Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

    Hi I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. I was told that in order to have a wedding in DR you have to have your birth certificate and all other documents translated into spanish in order to perform the ceremony. My question is if I go to city hall in NY(where I am from :) and have the wedding officialized here will they perform an unofficial ceremony in DR? like have the ceremony but no documents will be provided to us?
    Hopefully that made some sense to someone lol, because I got confused jus reading it

    #2 Nonnie

    • Jr. Member
    • 172 posts

      Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

      They call that a symbolic ceremony and it's a popular option because it saves a lot of cash and hassle. You will need to have your wedding license from the city hall in your home town translated into Spanish to prove you guys are already married, but that's it.

      In the symbolic ceremony an English speaking employee of the resort will do the ceremony for you. From what I have heard they still take it seriously and do a good job.

      #3 karenk77

      • Jr. Member
      • 369 posts

        Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

        Omg thank you so much!! So all i'll need is that document translated and thats it..no birth certificates or anything?

        #4 ebredhawk

        • Member
        • 949 posts

          Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

          I think the wedding license translation may be a resort-specific thing. I am getting married at Dreams PC and I don't think we need to have our license translated to prove our marriage since there is nothing legal about a symbolic ceremony. Some resorts may want that though, so it's probably good to check with your WC wherever you choose!

          #5 DanielleNDerek

          • VIP Member
          • 18,452 posts

            Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

            like Erin just mentioned i would check with your WC because although i ended up doing a legal in the DR when i was looking into doing a symbolic i dont think my resort required a copy of the wedding license. Just check so you dont pay for a translation when you didnt need it.
            ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
            Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
            Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

            #6 karenk77

            • Jr. Member
            • 369 posts

              Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

              thank you soooooooo much..not that i even have a place set..debating between majestic and riu.

              #7 BlakleyBrideToBe

              • Sr. Member
              • 2,115 posts

                Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

                Thanks... for the post!!! I had the same question.

                0 user(s) are reading this topic

                0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users