Malaria risk in the DR???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 lscilley

• 1,466 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

Don't worry about the Malaria pills it's just a precaution just like getting a tetanus shot cause you just never know and why not be safe rather than sorry. The pills did not make me or my FI sick at all barely noticed we were taking meds since they are only once a week. Also Malaria has been an issue in the DR for years it's nonthing new and thousands of people still vacation there every year.

#12 shellb

• 533 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

I completely agree lscilley, better safe than sorry when it comes to travel. For me if there is a rusty nail in 10 miles of sand, I am sure to be the one to step on it. So I always try take precautions.

#13 Nuc Med Bride

Nuc Med Bride
      • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

My doctor recommended taking a good bug spray/cream with me.

#14 punkie569

• 255 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

Wow thats scary. We were in Punta Cana 2 years ago and we didn't take any medications for malaria. We didn't get any skeeter bites while there either. However we did get tons when we were in Mexico last year. Malaria is something we never even thought about but now that you've mentioned it how dumb of us not to think about it before. Thanks for the info!
          Two lives, two hearts joined together in friendship united forever in love

#15 jmb0902

• 496 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

Well, just to update from my original post... we decided NOT to have our wedding in the DR for these reasons. The deciding factors are that we will have a 2 month old with us (there are age restrictions on chloroquine), and other friends who will be pregnant (and not able to take certain meds either). We do however want to go on our own at some point.... it looks super fun and beautiful :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users