Photo

"Aquapac" underwater camera case

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SunBride

SunBride
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

So in preperation for my upcoming trip to Jamaica, I was thinking how I really didn't want to have to buy another disposable underwater film camera to get pics at Dunns River Falls. I've used those cameras several times and I am never very happy with the results.

I started looking for underwater cases for digital cameras. There are hard cases made for different camera models, but they are 100$ and up, and there is a good chance I will be buying a slimmer point and shoot soon, so I wanted something that would work with any camera.

I found this Aquapac at REI, an american store (not sure if online only or if they have actual physical stores too) but then to save on Shipping I managed to find it here in Canada at MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop). It was 30$ at REI (although once I signed up they have been sending me codes for 15% and 20% off) but shipping was 20$ to Canada. (Note, as I post the link, I notice the price is 40$ but I swear it was 30$ last week.... They also have a bigger one for 40$).

Click the image to open in full size.

#2 SunBride

SunBride
    • 1,499 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Nobody thinks this is cool? Or maybe everybody knew about these types of things and I'm late in finding it

#3 *Melissa*

*Melissa*
      • Banned
      • 22 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

Ohhhh i love it!! ive wanted a case so my camera can go underwater but the only one ive thought of getting is the one specifically for my camera and its like $300!!! no way im paying that!!

this one looks so cool! but do you know people who have used it?? i would be so nervous to use it since its for many camera models and have it leak or something and destroy my camera....have you asked around??

#4 SunBride

SunBride
        • 1,499 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

I read 3 reviews, they were really good.

They do guarantee the package as well as it's contents (i.e. your camera) from manufacturer's defects.

I am using it next week in Jamaica so I can let you know when I get back how it goes and post some sample pictures.

#5 *Melissa*

*Melissa*
          • Banned
          • 22 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

sounds awesome! i would love to get it for future if it works well!

#6 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
            • 2,777 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

You can get them on ebay a bit cheaper I think. We got a case that is for our camera. We have an REI in our town and I tried it, but it really drove me crazy, it seemed like carrying a large ziploc w/ my camera in it.

We do a lot of snorkeling around the world so it was worth it to us to spend the extra money. it would be fine if you didnt use it under water much.

#7 SunBride

SunBride
              • 1,499 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

Yeah, I definitely agree that having a case made to fit your camera is still a better option, but they are so much more expensive, and I knew we would be upgrading our point and shoot soon enough, so there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money. At least this provides a cheaper option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users