Photo

White Elephant Gift Exchange...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SgtPepperette

SgtPepperette
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

So this is the first year Im participating in one of these, and Im really at a lost on what to give. The rules are must be in my house, and $5-$10 range.

What type of things do people give at these?

#2 lil_miss_frogg

lil_miss_frogg
    • 826 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

I did this one year with a group of guys that I worked with (worked in a motorcycle shop, so I was the only girl) I picked something I knew they would hate to get. I picked on them in that way. I picked out one of my old cookbooks, that i never used anymore, and used that....I ended up getting a lovely motorcycle keychain. Yippy!

Another thing is just look around your house and see what you can find. One of the guys I worked with brought one of his sons old Transformers. White Elephant is normally a funny gift that you just have no need for anymore.

Hope this helps you a little.

~Samie~

http://i44.tinypic.com/aemd8w.jpg
      My Babies
      "Love isn't about finding a perfect person,
      it's seeing an imperfect person perfectly!"
      http://tickers.Ticke....00ff/event.pnghttp://tickers.Ticke....JZW/weight.png

#3 dolfinluck

dolfinluck
      • 2,424 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

I would just give anything you dont want anymore or even a gift you got that you have never used. we are planning on doing this a my work this year but are calling it a re-gifting exchange and doing in after new years. i always get crappy/have no use for gifts from my FMIL so i'll have a couple of years worth of stuff to choose from!!!

#4 Jess

Jess
        • 4,455 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

Yeah I love white elephants! pick something that is random - it is always fun

#5 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
          • 4,881 posts
          • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
          • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
          • LocationNew York

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

If you're supposed to bring something new (white elephant has traditionally meant something from your home that you don't need/want anymore, but has now expanded it's meaning to include a gift exchange with "stealing" rules), go with something fun or silly.

In the past I've brought a bottle of white wine the label of which read "Cheap White Wine", kitchen gadets shaped like odd things, Bubble bath for "dirty" girls, etc.

If it is a white elephant of the traditional sense (something you already own but don't want), make sure it's in perfect condition. But the notion of silly or fun still applies.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#6 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
          • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

generally you select a gift from your home that you have not used or have use for. I don't care for the already been used part, but not everyone uses common sense to know that new is better. It is fun as stated especially when you add the "swap" component. I am gifting chocolate or wine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users