Sign in to follow this  
AmyB79

St Thomas & St John

One of the first vacations my FI and I took together was to St Thomas/St John in the USVI. It's gorgeous there! We were thinking about going for our wedding, but decided to get married in Mexico because it's a little cheaper for our guests. But in case anyone is looking at USVI, here's an awesome hotel in St John that is right on beautiful Cruz Bay

Westin St. John Hotels: The Westin St. John Resort & Villas - Hotel Rooms at westin.com

It's definitely a laid back location, with several excellent restaurants and bars close by, but if you want a place to party hard I wouldn't pick St John. St Thomas is a little bigger and you can take a ferry between the two islands for about $10 dollars (if I remember correctly). Both islands would make an excellent place for a 1-year anniversary!

Ok this is where I am getting married in st thomas in june 08. We are going to suggest that our guest come in on the cruise ship because it seemed cheaper than the island. Is it that costly?

We looked a little and found that flights to St Thomas are more expensive than those to Mexico, so having your guests come in by cruise ship would be a good idea. We've stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef and saw a wedding there for which several guests did just that, they came by cruise ship the day of the wedding. It also ensures you and your FI some private time!

The Frenchman's Reef was very nice, and we were there in 2002 but I think they've had a major renovation since then. The restaurants at the hotel are okay - I actually don't remember them much - we decided to go downtown most nights for dinner.

Good luck planning!

thanx since most of the wedding is covered in our package we can look more into where we stay. I actually would like to stay at a mom and pop bed and breakfast. I hear they are inexpensive and I shouldnt have to worry about visitors for the guest that hate to cruise and fly in.

Have you ever thought about renting a villa? There are a lot of them in St Thomas and they look amazing! Private pool, beach front terrace... someday I want to rent one for a vacation

I'm going the villa route for my stay in Saint Thomas. I wish more of our guests had also gone that way. It's a great option for accommodation!

Jessica - Great info! My fiance (soon to be!) and I are thinking about St. Thomas. I looked at the Marriott (Frenchman's Reef) since my mom owns a Marriott timeshare and could trade in (provided there are no immense restrictions and such...blah!), it wouldn't cost my family much to stay there. However, I will definitely look to contacting a travel agent/wedding coordinator (like the one you suggested) to see what options are out there.

I never even thought about the cruise ship scenario! Hmmm...should look into that! I hear you, Amy, on the cost of flying to St. Thomas as opposed to Mexico. Ay Carumba!

Good luck, Catherine, on your planning! We're thinking of getting married in late May 2008 - perhaps we'll pass eachother by!

From Ny or Nj the cruises are 1200 total because cruises include entertainment and food and fun. My package has everything included dress rental tuxrental reception location etc check it out

www.stthomaspackages.com Angela is wonderful. She could have everything set u p and arranged if you come on the cruise with your family.

Me on the other hand will stay on the island and send family by boat

I also was told by angela that st john is secluded and very seedy or the poorer of the three islands. St thomas is the tourist area and St Croix is wilderness and quiet