Photo

How do you fight a craving?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

When I'm craving something (which isn't often as I usually eat six times/day), I reach for something with healthy fat/lots of protein. Protein will make you feel full, have a few unsalted almonds. Water helps too as you might not be hungry but dehydrated. I generally try to drink 4-5 litres of water per day.

#12 Ayita

Ayita
    • 861 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

I do the following not necessarily in this order :
      - drink a glass of water
      - drink a flavored tea (no sugar, or sweeteners)
      - do something : read, computer, cleaning, phone call, walk, go to the gym...
      - chew gum
      - brush my teeth
      - take deep breaths for a minute (yoga breaths)
      - eat a healthy snack close to the craving... if it's cheese : a slice of low carb bread with low-fat cheese spread (boursin for instance - hummm) ; if it's ice cream, a Weight Watchers ice cream ; if it's fries, I will boil a potatoe, slice it and then cook in the oven with cooking spays. You have to be inventive If it's chocolate try one one square ! It's not that awful and it can actually cure it.
      - think about my body as an external part of me that wants food but my mind is stronger (yes it works )

If nothing of this works : I satisfy the craving. In limited quantity. I make sure that the limited quantity happens (that can involve buying a pack of stuff, taking one out and throwing the rest away before eating). Indeed if the craving resists all of the above it means I will eat all kind of things to try and forget it but at the end of the day it will still be there. So rather satisfy it - it will be out of the way !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users