Searching for a job/career! ((help!))

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicoleandscott

nicoleandscott
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

hello ladies!

well, my college graduation is looming in the next 50-60 days (who's counting??) right before scott and i get married! :)

so basically, i am on the job hunt, but i'm stalled. i started college as an early childhood education major, but recently switched to youth & community studies (also within the college of education). this switch means i do not have a teaching certificate, which is okay because i'm not sold on teaching...i'm annoyed with current education system (this is a whole 'nother topic! ha) SO this brings me to...what am i going to do with my degree??

i know FOR SURE i want to work with children/youth in some way. nonprofits are looking interesting, but i'm not sure of the availability and my qualifications for these types of jobs. i'm super interested in working at like a children's museum or something like that.

my question for you gals is: ANY IDEAS? haha any suggestions/advice would be awesome! thanks for letting me vent!!

#2 Bianca

Bianca
    • 1,057 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

I feel ya! I graduated in August and have not started the job search yet, so I'm not too much help... but I know how much it sucks to try to decide what you want to do. I couldn't do it, so FI and I decided that I should put it off til after the wedding. Right now I have a really flexible part time job with a children's magazine publisher. I have been there about a year and I am starting to work on our marketing stuff... It's not exactly what I want to do with my life, but the job is giving me some good experience in a a different field.
      19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!
      http://dw.daisypath.com/BM2Hm4/.png

http://dpabride.blogspot.com/

#3 Janet

Janet
      • VIP Member
      • 7,459 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

How about an entry-level fundraising/development job at a children's nonprofit. That's what I did after college and now I am a political/nonprofit fundraising consultant. You'll never be unemployed and if you're good at it you can make a difference and make decent money for nonprofit work and have a good work-life balance.

#4 nicoleandscott

nicoleandscott
        • 397 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Janet
          How about an entry-level fundraising/development job at a children's nonprofit. That's what I did after college and now I am a political/nonprofit fundraising consultant. You'll never be unemployed and if you're good at it you can make a difference and make decent money for nonprofit work and have a good work-life balance.
          that sounds nice! where did you search for these types of jobs? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users