• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Mandy

Mandy
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ethrondson
    I was in Edmonton during the big F5 tornado back in 1987. Actually, tomorrow will be exactly 21 years since "Black Friday" as it has been called. A few years ago there was another one that was south of Edmonton at Pine Lake too. If there are tornado warnings or even a watch for funnel clouds, I am out there checking out the sky to see if I can see any!

I still am not sure about earth quakes though. Once a tornado is done, there aren't usually little tornados that come in behind it, unlike earthquakes.
    My brother and SIL's house was taken down by a tornado in January! Weirdest time ever for a tornado. They've rebuilt by now, but I have a new appreciation for a tornado's fury.

#62 Yari

Yari
    • VIP Member
    • 10,928 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:11 AM

That guy was on the news last night and they demonstrated the "new" ways to protect yourself from earthquakes. In the same report, they had someone else say that it was bogus. I just don't know what to believe! Should I duck and cover like I was taught or roll and stay?

#63 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

Mandy thank you so much for that article! #9 gave me chills because I know people whose relatives died in some of those cars. We were all worried that our family/friends were crushed because it was commute time and so many people drove that stretch home everyday. Phones were down so it was a long time to worry. We had been listening to radio but when the power finally came on a day or 2 later and we saw TV for the first time we were in shock. (if anyone wants to see how devastating it was google image search "cypress structure")

Yari I would study the article Mandy posted, that falls in line with the most current info I've heard. I'm going to forward it on to my family/friends in CA.

And as for "the big one" they've been talking about that since I was a kid too! I thought the big one was the 7.1 in '89 but they say a bigger one is in store in Norcal, Socal too...all we can do is wait.

#64 jajajaja

jajajaja
        • VIP Member
        • 9,794 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

I agree with Yari- it's very conflicting.

here's a website discrediting the triangle of life:
          Triangle of Life - Earthquake Safety and You!

Here's ARTI's website with more information to support the triangle of life:
          Welcome To American Rescue - American Rescue

Scary scary stuff. I guess the best thing you can do is make the best decision possible in the time of an earthquake then really pray.
          Happily married since 2008

#65 Yari

Yari
          • VIP Member
          • 10,928 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

Here is an article about having an emergency plan...I thought it was quite good.

Attached Files

#66 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

The triangle of life is what Mandy's article was about, that one makes sense to me!

#67 LadyP

LadyP
              • 3,156 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

If I go back and read and research all of this stuff will I fly home tonight? You ladies are freakn me out.

#68 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by LadyP
                  If I go back and read and research all of this stuff will I fly home tonight? You ladies are freakn me out.
                  Yes!!! LOL Naw, it's not that bad. It's a part of life out here and all you can do is try to know what/not to do when it happens. There has probably been an earthquake every day since you've been here but we don't feel them all, I'm sure we won't have another "big" one until after you leave...you're lucky you have somewhere to go back to, this is it for us...lol

#69 Yari

Yari
                  • VIP Member
                  • 10,928 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

I wouldn't freak out, it is just better to be prepared. We Californians tend to forget that we live in earthquake country and when one occurs we go back to being prepared. The odds of another large earthquake in the next six months are slim. Heck it's been 14 years since the last "big" one.

#70 LadyP

LadyP
                    • 3,156 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by starchild
                      Yes!!! LOL Naw, it's not that bad. It's a part of life out here and all you can do is try to know what/not to do when it happens. There has probably been an earthquake every day since you've been here but we don't feel them all, I'm sure we won't have another "big" one until after you leave...you're lucky you have somewhere to go back to, this is it for us...lol
                      I told you what I pay for mortgage you are more than welcome to come to Philly. There are many local beaches, fish tacos or smog. but there are lots od cheese steaks, history, and gunsmoke LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users