Sign in to follow this  
SheaS

Riveria Maya Resorts

Hey Magsie - can you let me know what you dig up on the Rui, costs, etc?

I really can't be on one more resort website or my head will explode, I change my mind everyday!

Thanks girl

Jaimee

I've been up and down the coast, and I haven't found a beach yet where I couldn't swim in the ocean.

My two favorite resorts I've stayed at is Dreams Tulum and Grand Oasis Riviera Maya. Keep in mind that my priorities are non-touristy and small and somewhat classy. The Grand Oasis was great and seemed deserted a lot of the time, but the drinks weren't all that great. Dreams has way better drinks, but the beach is a little rocky (though still swimmable with GREAT snorkeling). Both places you can walk out in the water and have angelfish swarm all around you.

I've heard Azul is great, but it is a little $$$.

I've stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan a couple of times, and the beach is good, but it's way too big for me.

I hear the Iberostar Paraiso whatever is wonderful, some of our friends stayed there and loved it. Again, big and touristy.

We also stayed at Catalonia Playa Maroma this New Year's (aka The Proposal) and the beach there is not so great. And that's right next that supposedly great resort Playa Maroma, which we walked past. It looked swank, but the beach was sucky.

Does this help? I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but that's my two cents.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaa View Post
Then I thought I had my heart set on the El Dorado Royale.... but then I found out you can't swim at the beach. (And also found out there will be kids attending) I have talked with some travel agents about swimming there and they all said you can, but my friend had her honeymoon there, and said they didn't swim there at all.

Sheaa, I'm going to Riviera Maya in just over a week and have read soooooo many different forums where they've complained about the rocky beaches or MASSIVE sand bags. On that side they have issues with that because of hurricane recovery. That's whats got me considering Cabo instead... not sure what its like there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini_Bride View Post
Sheaa, I'm going to Riviera Maya in just over a week and have read soooooo many different forums where they've complained about the rocky beaches or MASSIVE sand bags. On that side they have issues with that because of hurricane recovery. That's whats got me considering Cabo instead... not sure what its like there...
If you're looking for a place that has a swimmable beach in cabo, you may want to talk to some of the cabo girls here or a TA because you can't swim at all of the beaches in cabo, but I'm not familiar enough to tell you which ones you can. At first I had heard not at all because I wanted cabo and thats one of the things that deterred me, but I know Tammy(host) mentioned that there are some beaches you can swim at. Just wanted you to know so that you would keep it in mind when you're looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura b View Post
I've been up and down the coast, and I haven't found a beach yet where I couldn't swim in the ocean.
My two favorite resorts I've stayed at is Dreams Tulum and Grand Oasis Riviera Maya. Keep in mind that my priorities are non-touristy and small and somewhat classy. The Grand Oasis was great and seemed deserted a lot of the time, but the drinks weren't all that great. Dreams has way better drinks, but the beach is a little rocky (though still swimmable with GREAT snorkeling). Both places you can walk out in the water and have angelfish swarm all around you.
I've stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan a couple of times, and the beach is good, but it's way too big for me.
I hear the Iberostar Paraiso whatever is wonderful, some of our friends stayed there and loved it. Again, big and touristy.
We also stayed at Catalonia Playa Maroma this New Year's (aka The Proposal) and the beach there is not so great. And that's right next that supposedly great resort Playa Maroma, which we walked past. It looked swank, but the beach was sucky.
Does this help? I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but that's my two cents.
Good luck!

Thanks for the great info.. you have been to a lot of resorts!

When you stayed at Dreams Tulum, did you notice an old and new part of the resort? I have read about that on a lot of forums, and it makes me a little nervous. They mentioned that they old section was "terrible".
My travel agent keeps on suggesting we book there, but I think that it is because it is in our price range....

Right now, I am looking into the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo...
has anybody been married there? Any pros or conshuh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura b View Post
Good luck!

By the way Laura.... nice dogs. Are they both weims? I just got a weimaraner puppy. He is such a good boy.

I am getting married at the Moon Palace Resort on June 8, 2007. I have spoke with the wedding coordinator and she is very nice and helpful. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

It's always a good idea to check a resort's policy towards outside vendors if that is an option you would like to have available. I am an "outside vendor" who has been working in this area for two years. The policies vary and seem to always be changing. It can be very frustrating to book a resort and be surprised by restrictive policies.

Always ask up front, "what are your policies regarding outside vendors?" If you need to negotiate, you may find you have more leverage before you book, rather than after.

P.S. I have posted several video clips from different resorts and locations in this area on my site

Playa Weddings - Videography in Playa del Carmen and the Riviera Maya