• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

Collecting shells is a problem for the animals that live inside them. Probably just a few shells on the beach, especially the flat ones, don't make a difference. But, any shell that would be an animals home & protection shouldn't be picked up. Think about how full those shops are with shells. They don't use the best practices when collecting them & can harm the coral. So I just avoid stuff like that all together.

#12 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

SDNHM: Seashell FAQ

#13 SIMBASIM

SIMBASIM
      • 466 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

know this law seems a bit extreme but it really has some great reason behind it...

I have visited both Jamaica and Mexico. I will NEVER return to Jamaica and one of the reasons was they do not protect their natural coral reefs. The coral reefs actually have a lot to do with the ecological systems and the survival of certain species of fish. In Jamaica they would actually dive down during our snorkeling tour and BREAK off a piece of the coral. It just seemed so unnatural to me. I do not get the whole collecting shells on the beach. Maybe they are trying to rejuvenate the large amount of beaches that were washed away from the hurricane?? Just my 2 cents :)

#14 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by SIMBASIM
          know this law seems a bit extreme but it really has some great reason behind it...

I have visited both Jamaica and Mexico. I will NEVER return to Jamaica and one of the reasons was they do not protect their natural coral reefs. The coral reefs actually have a lot to do with the ecological systems and the survival of certain species of fish. In Jamaica they would actually dive down during our snorkeling tour and BREAK off a piece of the coral. It just seemed so unnatural to me. I do not get the whole collecting shells on the beach. Maybe they are trying to rejuvenate the large amount of beaches that were washed away from the hurricane?? Just my 2 cents :)

That is terrible! One thing that I really liked about riviera maya was how they work to maintain the ecosystem while still making it a place for tourist. Coral needs to be protected. It is a vital part of the ecosystem. There wouldn't be good snorkeling without coral.

#15 lambert13

lambert13
          • 901 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

There is a group in Akumal (Riviera Maya town) that is trying to get legislation passed to make touching or harming marine life a fineable offense. That includes sea turtles, coral, shells, fish, etc.

This would apply mainly to tour companies. If a person in a tour group breaks the rules, the tour operator will be fined. I think it is a great start to preserving what is left of the reef along the Riviera Maya.

#16 Laur13

Laur13
            • 179 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Good to know!

#17 mbarnes04

mbarnes04
              • 194 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

wow, that is good to know. guess i won't be stealing sand for the sand ceremony, lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users