Photo

Traveling with a child

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LeXiee

LeXiee
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Any tips for traveling down south with a 2.5 year old?

Anyone have a packing list for kids?? I'm scared I'm going to forget stuff!

#2 Kryztan

Kryztan
    • 743 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

At the time of my wedding my baby will be 10 mo. There is lots of stuff to travel with. I havnt made a list yet, but as soon as I do I will post.
      Also one of the girls on here, that is actually getting married today will be back soon and she may help as well!

#3 Celina

Celina
      • Banned
      • 2,811 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

I would suggest a portable DVD player with movies they haven't seen yet (So they don't get bored) We bought the Nickelodeon ones with different shows on it. We also ended up taking it with us to restaurants to keep our son entertained. Remember Mexico time - everything takes longer.

A small fold up stroller - just a cheapey one. Cheap toys. I've been saving all of the happy meal toys so they are something new to them but we won't care if they get lost either.

Crayons or washable markers and a notebook

snacks

Whenever we went anywhere I made sure to take two diapers, junk toys, snacks and a juice and a filled sippy cup.

Hope this helps!
        ~Celina
        "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

#4 Celina

Celina
        • Banned
        • 2,811 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Oh packing stuff...Last year during our trip to PV FI got mad and said I overpacked for our then 2 year old son, him but he needed all of his stuff. We're going back this year and I intend on taking the same.

Diapers - you can always buy some there - same with swim diapers if not potty trained.
          Sunscreen
          2 pairs of swimming trunks
          Crocs - these are SO easy to slip on and off and water shoes (crocs are slippery by the water)
          Disposable sippy cups - if you lose them no big deal
          Shorts
          T-shirts/tanks - more of these than shorts
          1 blanket from home - when staying somewhere away from home I think they need a sense of security.
          Beach toys - At our resort they were expensive to buy - you can pick them up for cheap here. If you leave them there or some of it floats out so sea (like ours did) - no biggie!
          Jammies of course
          As far as baby wash, etc. - I still use Johnsons baby wash (I want my son to be a baby as long as possible) - I bought their cleansing cloths. You just wet them and they suds up - no worries of spilled body wash anywhere and you just use them and toss them.

I also took some disposable place mats. They just stick to the table. My FI thought I was nuts for bringing these - but our hotel room had a glass table to eat at and the last thing I wanted was a filthy table - so I bought some of these and once again - you use them and toss them.

Good luck!
          Celina
          "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

#5 LeXiee

LeXiee
          • 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Thanks so much ladies!! All these tips are a great help!

What kind of medical supplies did you bring??

Tempra
            Polysporin
            Benadryl
            Thermometre
            Band-Aids

Am I forgeting something?

#6 LeXiee

LeXiee
            • 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

I was reading somewhere that a go thing to do when the plane is taking off and landing is to give your child a juice box for them to drink.... them sucking the straw will help to relieve the air pressure.

#7 monicabrandon2008

monicabrandon2008
              • 794 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

I can't help with medicine or a complete list but my sister and 2 yr. old niece live in Cali and fly to visit us 4 times a year. When taking off and landing she always gave my niece something to suck on like the juice box. Last time she actually gave her a little piece of her gum. Mainly because my niece wants to do what everyone else is doing and this made her happy. Even when my niece was an infant she has never cried or been hurt during landing and take off. One thing my sister has noticed is if my niece is at all stuffy or sickly the altitude makes it worse. Pack plenty if meds, it wouldn't hurt.
                HIGH FIVE, WE'RE MARRIED!!!
                http://i51.photobuck...vtburks/1-4.jpg

#8 LeXiee

LeXiee
                • 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the tip!!!

#9 Helen_S81

Helen_S81
                  • 985 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by LeXiee
                    Thanks so much ladies!! All these tips are a great help!

What kind of medical supplies did you bring??

Tempra
                    Polysporin
                    Benadryl
                    Thermometre
                    Band-Aids

Am I forgeting something?
                    I would add some Gravol. My kids tended to get upset stomachs when away from home, eating different food, or when tired, so we always took Gravol.

#10 Helen_S81

Helen_S81
                    • 985 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

I would also add that if possible the parents should try and not be tired and be as relaxed as possible when travelling. Somehow if I was uptight or tired the kids sensed it and would act up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users