Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Does anybody know?

#13 nathanielthompsonphoto

nathanielthompsonphoto
      • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Infinity22
        What made Tunnels so great? I've heard about it here and there.
        Tunnels is dramatic, from the coral "tunnels" you can swim through, to the beautiful drop off to the open ocean.

Ke'e is great too. Easier to get to, and you can stay close to where you parked - you will just be snorkeling with lots of other folks. But, you can also back track along the beach to get away from people. I would totally make a day (or two) out of Ke'e. We like to snorkel in the morning then hike the Kalalau Trail along the Na Pali cliffs that is right there (we only hike two miles to Hanakapi'ai beach, but you can do the whole 11 miles too).

#14 Infinity22

Infinity22
        • 1,520 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto
          Tunnels is dramatic, from the coral "tunnels" you can swim through, to the beautiful drop off to the open ocean.

Ke'e is great too. Easier to get to, and you can stay close to where you parked - you will just be snorkeling with lots of other folks. But, you can also back track along the beach to get away from people. I would totally make a day (or two) out of Ke'e. We like to snorkel in the morning then hike the Kalalau Trail along the Na Pali cliffs that is right there (we only hike two miles to Hanakapi'ai beach, but you can do the whole 11 miles too).
          Wow, they actually have coral tunnels you can swim through? I guess it makes sense with the name and all, I just had no idea! LOL How far under are these tunnels found?
          The hiking sounds like a great idea too but I think the party we're traveling with already had that on the agenda. =)

#15 nathanielthompsonphoto

nathanielthompsonphoto
          • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

Quote:
            Wow, they actually have coral tunnels you can swim through? I guess it makes sense with the name and all, I just had no idea! LOL How far under are these tunnels found?
            The hiking sounds like a great idea too but I think the party we're traveling with already had that on the agenda. =)
            Yeah its amazing. The outer reef is the best. throughout the reef there are channels that you swim through, in some places both sides come so close to each other they are like tunnels. In some places they do touch. The best part is that you just explore, dive down, and discover. The farther out you go, the more experienced you should be. Every time I've been there has been a small current, so occasionally pop your head up to see where you are. I've only been during the summer, but its also a very popular surf spot during the winter as it catches the north swells.

Check this link out for more info.

#16 Infinity22

Infinity22
            • 1,520 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto
              Yeah its amazing. The outer reef is the best. throughout the reef there are channels that you swim through, in some places both sides come so close to each other they are like tunnels. In some places they do touch. The best part is that you just explore, dive down, and discover. The farther out you go, the more experienced you should be. Every time I've been there has been a small current, so occasionally pop your head up to see where you are. I've only been during the summer, but its also a very popular surf spot during the winter as it catches the north swells.

Check this link out for more info.
              That's incredible!!! How far down does a snorkeler have to go so they can swim through these channels? Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with Kauai. What other "must see's" or "must do's" should I know about while I'm there?

#17 anniem

anniem
              • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

The Ultimate Guide to Kauai has everything you need! It's the best guide book series for all of the islands. I've used it for 3 of the islands and have had some amazing experiences. Just check out the "gems" listed in the guide.

#18 Infinity22

Infinity22
                • 1,520 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by anniem
                  The Ultimate Guide to Kauai has everything you need! It's the best guide book series for all of the islands. I've used it for 3 of the islands and have had some amazing experiences. Just check out the "gems" listed in the guide.
                  You mean this one that I posted in a previous post?

http://bestdestinati....825#post357210

#19 Jtds2713

Jtds2713
                  • 714 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that is the same book.

#20 Mandy

Mandy
                    • 514 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

Quote:

Is this the guidebook that everyone recommends?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users