Jump to content

Photo

Morgan's pre-wedding welcome letters & template for making a brochure


  • Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#51 Stormsong

Stormsong
  • Jr. Member
  • 287 posts

    Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

    hey. Morgan...when are you sending your brochures out? I am trying to get an idea on when to send my brochures out. How many months ahead!
    Lisa

    #52 rodent

    rodent

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

      Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Stormsong
      well, when and if you create your brochures for your guest lists, welcome letter and things to do in Mayan, let us know!!! Would LOVE to see them too!!

      You might want to include something about customs in your brochure. What people can bring back!

      Also...you COULD print your brochures off yourself. Just use a printer setting that prints on both side on cardstock or heavier paper.
      I will definitly post them. I pretty much don't do anything nowadays without running it by the forum :)

      I ordered them through vistaprint (www.vistaprint/minicatalog). I think they are cheaper than ink most times with the specials. And the quality is better than what my printer would do. They were 30 cents each shipped. I think a printer is roughly 13 cents per side for b&w text.

      good tip about customs. Do you know the rules? I might put that in my welcome letter. My pre-wedding letters are off to the printers :)

      #53 Stormsong

      Stormsong
      • Jr. Member
      • 287 posts

        Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

        well, you have to declare wedding gifts. Recently the duty-free personal exemption was raised to $800 per person and can be combined among family members. Mexican arts and crafts doesn’t count towards your limit and one liter of alcohol is allowed duty-free. The following items are legal in Mexico and readily available everywhere in the border area, but cannot be brought into the United States: Cuban cigars, turtle products, switchblades, butterfly knives and fireworks. For full customs information, check the U.S. Customs web site. CBP.gov - home page
        Lisa

        #54 rodent

        rodent

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

          Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Stormsong
          well, you have to declare wedding gifts. Recently the duty-free personal exemption was raised to $800 per person and can be combined among family members. Mexican arts and crafts doesn’t count towards your limit and one liter of alcohol is allowed duty-free. The following items are legal in Mexico and readily available everywhere in the border area, but cannot be brought into the United States: Cuban cigars, turtle products, switchblades, butterfly knives and fireworks. For full customs information, check the U.S. Customs web site. CBP.gov - home page
          Thanks! I have spread the word for people to not bring gifts to mexico. I've asked that people coming to the wedding not give us any gifts. I also put it on my website registry page.

          good to hear the duty-free exemption was raised. I just realized I haven't been saving my receipts. I need to start doing that!

          #55 Stormsong

          Stormsong
          • Jr. Member
          • 287 posts

            Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

            You could ask your guests, if they want to give you something, to help pay for your honeymoon. Set up a registry with your TA. (Thats what we did.)

            Otherwise, are you having a party back home after you get married? We are having a "we got hitched" party the following summer. (There is where I will get stressed! lol) Anyways, guests could bring gifts to that.

            I will need to do this ALL over again once I have that summer party. Have to make invites, decorations, food, music, etc! Eeeks!!
            Lisa

            #56 rodent

            rodent

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

              Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Stormsong
              You could ask your guests, if they want to give you something, to help pay for your honeymoon. Set up a registry with your TA. (Thats what we did.)

              Otherwise, are you having a party back home after you get married? We are having a "we got hitched" party the following summer. (There is where I will get stressed! lol) Anyways, guests could bring gifts to that.

              I will need to do this ALL over again once I have that summer party. Have to make invites, decorations, food, music, etc! Eeeks!!
              I figure if people want to give us stuff, they can mail it to our house. I'm not encouraging gifts. I did register though. We live in a small apartment & plan on moving out of state in about 3 years. I don't need more stuff. I've noticed that at most weddings that are even local, most gifts are mailed to the house. My friend had a huge wedding recently & only received about 10 gifts at the wedding. The rest were mailed.

              We live in North Carolina & our family is in Texas. We were going to have an AHR in Texas in August & I figured we get some gifts there. There would still be the problem of flying them home. No customs, but still a lot to carry. My brother is now getting married in August so we canceled the AHR. I was relieved!!! I only did it because I thought we had to. Now I know we don't have to do anything we don't want. People aren't upset with us for having a DW & don't have any expectations for an AHR.

              We are having an AHR in north carolina where we live. That will just be friends & just drinks/snacks, so no stress to plan. I'm getting a keg, making margaritas & buying discounted cinco de mayo decorations. It's just going to be a party, not really a reception.

              I wouldn't want to have a full blown reception. Just too much to plan and too expensive. Search around the AHR section of the forum. You might get some ideas that don't stress you out. It can be whatever you want it to be- a backyard BBQ, day at the park, or anything you want.

              #57 Stormsong

              Stormsong
              • Jr. Member
              • 287 posts

                Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

                thats actually kind of the plan. Just a bbq...and, his family is actually bringing salads. SO, potluck bbq! lol. We are not even calling it a reception!! But, I still need to make invites..which is exciting. (gonna do boarding pass ones.) And, i have a tealight project I am making to hang from the tent we are renting. (I will post pics when I start.)

                Other than that, its at a friends acreage. So, really, not TOO much stress. My MoH is suppling music. (her brothers in a band...) So, it actually shouldn't be too bad.
                Actually, we are having our Handfasting at this bbq. (I am pagan, so, i wanted to do a pagan wedding, so to speak.)
                Lisa

                #58 dayisun

                dayisun
                • Newbie
                • 59 posts

                  Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

                  Wow, these are great! Thank you for posting the pictures. Some of us newcomers may not have enough points to download, but it is great to see what everyone is doing!
                  Proud Mother of the Bride

                  #59 rodent

                  rodent

                    VIP Member

                  • VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

                    Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Stormsong
                    thats actually kind of the plan. Just a bbq...and, his family is actually bringing salads. SO, potluck bbq! lol. We are not even calling it a reception!! But, I still need to make invites..which is exciting. (gonna do boarding pass ones.) And, i have a tealight project I am making to hang from the tent we are renting. (I will post pics when I start.)

                    Other than that, its at a friends acreage. So, really, not TOO much stress. My MoH is suppling music. (her brothers in a band...) So, it actually shouldn't be too bad.
                    Actually, we are having our Handfasting at this bbq. (I am pagan, so, i wanted to do a pagan wedding, so to speak.)
                    Glad you are having an AHR you can get excited about. It should be fun & something to enjoy. Not a hassle & all stuffy.

                    #60 rodent

                    rodent

                      VIP Member

                    • VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

                      Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by dayisun
                      Wow, these are great! Thank you for posting the pictures. Some of us newcomers may not have enough points to download, but it is great to see what everyone is doing!

                      I donated some points to you. Just get to posting & soon you'll have more points than you know what to do with.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users