Photo

Cost of Getting Legally Married in Cancun

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 highheels

highheels
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

I got my contract today from Dreams Cancun. For some reason I never even thought about paying extra to make our ceremony legal- $620 extra to be exact. I am over budget already and totally freaking out. With the cost of the package I figured it was included.

Does anyone know if I just have a symbolic ceremony if that is included in their packages? What is the average price to get married legally in the states?

Thanks for your help!

#2 lucy106

lucy106
    • 2,880 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

I know our original travel agent had suggested we go to the court house and get married legally here and then just do a symbolic ceremony in Cancun to help cut costs if we wanted.

#3 Cassondra2009

Cassondra2009
      • 444 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

Ohio Marriage License Laws > OH > Wedding Officiants

Check out this website...it has all of the info about getting married in Ohio. Hope it helps!

#4 SunBride

SunBride
        • 1,499 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

hum, seems very weird, I thought all the Dreams packages including everything to make the ceremony legal. Now I'm worried for my own ceremony at the dreams tulum...

#5 *JillD*

*JillD*
          • 5,112 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

It was so much easier to get married at home, IMO. We didn't have to get everything translated, no blood tests, no arriving 4 days prior, etc...

I can't remember what it cost us, I think $50 maybe, we applied for our marriage license and then we had a 2 or 4 day waiting period, we went back a few weeks later and they did the ceremony.

we didn't pay anything extra for the ceremony at dreams, but it wasn't a legal ceremony either.

#6 highheels

highheels
            • 53 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have calmed down a little since this afternoon. I think we will pass on the legal ceremony in Mexico to save some money. I do have a question though- if you are not doing a legal cermony how many days early do you have to be there. I know there was some debate on a post a few months ago (can't get the search to work for some reason) about how many days that ended up being?

#7 *JillD*

*JillD*
              • 5,112 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

I don't think there is any requirement, at least none that I was told about. We arrived on Tuesday and got married on Friday. It was nice to have a few days to relax, welcome guests and finalize wedding stuff.

Claudia called me the day I got there, but I wasn't in my room, after all the flying and layovers and stuff, all we wanted to do was enjoy the resort, so I ended up meeting with her later in the day on wednesday, I think.

#8 CarrieRN

CarrieRN
                • 815 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:55 AM

At our resort, you must arrive 2 days prior to your wedding date for a religious (non-legal) ceremony.
                  http://i236.photobuc....m/IMG_1472.jpg
                  Philip at 1 yr old. Go Steelers!
                  Soon I will get to post wedding pics, figure I should get some more Philip in first!

http://dv.daisypath.com/Mvdhm5/.png

#9 RyanAmanda

RyanAmanda
                  • 235 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

highheels, do you mind sharing what the extra $620 was for? Was it the blood tests or other things? We're just starting to plan our wedding and are looking at Dreams Tulum. I thought that everything was included in the package - I looked through my info package but didn't see anything about extra fees to make it legal.

#10 SunBride

SunBride
                    • 1,499 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by RyanAmanda
                      highheels, do you mind sharing what the extra $620 was for? Was it the blood tests or other things? We're just starting to plan our wedding and are looking at Dreams Tulum. I thought that everything was included in the package - I looked through my info package but didn't see anything about extra fees to make it legal.
                      I can tell you exactly what the cost is at Dreams TULUM because I'm getting married there and after reading the thread I was worried so I emailed Landy and asked her about all extra costs for a civil wedding. The costs are:

150$ + tax (10% I think) for blood tests (done at the resort, paid directly to doctor)

50$ (+ tax I think) for judge's transporation

100$ + tax if you want to get an apostille for the marriage certificate (to make it legal, I think it's like a "stamp" or something that certifies that the document is a legal document). this is optional, as you can get it done in your home country at the embassy if you prefer. If they do it for you, it will take a 3-6 months to receive your mariage certificate. The fee includes the cost of mailing you the certificate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter