Jump to content

Photo

Brazilian Blowout or Keratin Complex Hair Treatment?


  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#11 rosieposie

rosieposie
  • Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

Anyone tried either of these?

 

I've been interested in getting one of these treatments done a month or 2 before my wedding to help tame frizz while in Mexico.

 

It's supposed to be the latest thing in hair maintenance unlike the Japanese straightening, it's not a "perm" treatment, it's more like a hair conditioning treatment. It smooths, de-frizzes, adds shine and softness. Works on any hair type, even chemically treated hair.

 

Apparently you won't need to straighten or blowdry for weeks after getting it done. Downside is it usually starts around the $250+ range. 

I still have to inquire about is whether it'll be okay to curl or put the hair into an updo (or something) during the time the treatment is still in effect.

 

But here are some things I found online

 

Brazilian Blowout http://www.brazilianblowout.com/home

- 90 minutes to do

- formaldahyde-free

- no downtime

- use their shampoo & conditioner for aftercare and maintain effects

- lasts about 12 weeks

 

Keratin Complex http://www.keratincomplex.com/ 

- 2-3 hours to do

- formaldahyde-free

- 3 days downtime, no washing, no tying, no headbands...etc.

- use their shampoo & conditioner for aftercare and maintain effects

- lasts 3-5 months depending on hair type

 

I'm not sure at the moment, but if and when I get this done, I will let you know how it goes!

 

Please let me know if you've heard or tried either of these, as so far I've heard nothing but good things. Except that both treatments still emit fumes of some sort despite being formaldahyde-free.

 

 

 



#12 hockeymom97

hockeymom97
  • Sr. Member
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

One of my best friends does my hair, owns his own salon and I completely trust him with my hair. He completely recommends the Keratin over the blowout. I'm not sure if there are different types of Keratin systems, but I do know the one he uses and loves is by Coppola - http://www.keratincomplex.com/. I am not thrilled with the 3 days of downtime, but he swears this is the better option and won't even use the brazilian blowout system. I was scheduled to have the Keratin done a couple of weeks ago but had to reschedule due to conflicts, but I'm going to reschedule with him in the next few weeks. Once I have it done myself, I'll let you know what I think!

 


Heather & Eric ~ May 5th, 2011 ~ Beaches Turks & Caicos

#13 rosieposie

rosieposie
  • Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:00 AM



Originally Posted by hockeymom97 View Post

One of my best friends does my hair, owns his own salon and I completely trust him with my hair. He completely recommends the Keratin over the blowout. I'm not sure if there are different types of Keratin systems, but I do know the one he uses and loves is by Coppola - http://www.keratincomplex.com/. I am not thrilled with the 3 days of downtime, but he swears this is the better option and won't even use the brazilian blowout system. I was scheduled to have the Keratin done a couple of weeks ago but had to reschedule due to conflicts, but I'm going to reschedule with him in the next few weeks. Once I have it done myself, I'll let you know what I think!

 


Thanks! Yes, that's the one - by Coppola!!

Ok, I'm going with that one then

 

Can you please ask when you have it done that after all the downtime and such, can you use styling tools (curlers) and still do updos without ruining the effects?

 

I would like to do it a month or so before the wedding but want to curl or put my hair up for the wedding at the same time don't want to ruin the effects of the treatment.



#14 carly

carly
  • VIP Member
  • 24,211 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 17, 2008
  • Wedding Location:Beaches Boscobel, Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

My husband owns a hair salon and we did a keratin treatment back in April on me and my hair was falling out like crazy.  I couldn't wash it for 4 days, which was ridic!  I only lasted about 3 days and I was seriously loosing clumps of hair.  Everytime I brushed or combed my hair, it was just horrible.  I was scared that it would continue and I'd be bald.  It stopped after a little bit, but now I have all broken short hairs all over my head.  My sister had planned to get hers done after mine, but when we saw what it did to mine, she canceled.

 

I did the Brazilian blowout about 2-3 weeks ago and so far, so good!  I'm not loosing clumps of hair and I'm letting it air dry and it's fine.  My hair isn't curly, it just has a kind of fuzzy texture to it, so this smoothed it all out and it dries with NO frizz.  I have a pretty strong wave down the back of my head and this didn't straighten that out b/c it doesn't change your hair like keratin/perms do.  So if your hair is curly, it will make your curls just more manageable and smooth, it won't make your hair super straight.  All in all, I'm really happy with it so far!  My husband has some before and after shots on his business facebook page, if you want to check it out.

 

Tony D's facebook page



#15 GauchoSteph

GauchoSteph
  • Huddler
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

I got a groupon for a Brazilian blowout for only $150, and when I got there the stylist recommended the keratin treatment for me instead. I have dry-ish, curly hair that I usually blow dry/straighten etc. 

 

Anyways - yes it's 3 days of down time, and your hair will be SUPER straight during this time - then after the first wash mine has significantly less curl and frizz, now it's just wavy!

 

I think it depends on how much time you generally spend on your hair - for me, spending 30 mins less per day was a huge value!

 

Let us know how it comes out!



#16 rosieposie

rosieposie
  • Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:46 PM



Originally Posted by GauchoSteph View Post

I got a groupon for a Brazilian blowout for only $150, and when I got there the stylist recommended the keratin treatment for me instead. I have dry-ish, curly hair that I usually blow dry/straighten etc. 

 

Anyways - yes it's 3 days of down time, and your hair will be SUPER straight during this time - then after the first wash mine has significantly less curl and frizz, now it's just wavy!

 

I think it depends on how much time you generally spend on your hair - for me, spending 30 mins less per day was a huge value!

 

Let us know how it comes out!


thanks! I ended up getting something from livingsocial.com (similar to groupon) for the Keratin Complex + cut for $149. too good to pass up, and expires in a year so I figure I would give it a try. I have thick, semi-wavy, frizz asian hair so anything that saves me from having to blowdry or flat iron would eb fantastic!  i will post pix once i decide when to go  =)




 

Originally Posted by carly View Post

My husband owns a hair salon and we did a keratin treatment back in April on me and my hair was falling out like crazy.  I couldn't wash it for 4 days, which was ridic!  I only lasted about 3 days and I was seriously loosing clumps of hair.  Everytime I brushed or combed my hair, it was just horrible.  I was scared that it would continue and I'd be bald.  It stopped after a little bit, but now I have all broken short hairs all over my head.  My sister had planned to get hers done after mine, but when we saw what it did to mine, she canceled.

 

I did the Brazilian blowout about 2-3 weeks ago and so far, so good!  I'm not loosing clumps of hair and I'm letting it air dry and it's fine.  My hair isn't curly, it just has a kind of fuzzy texture to it, so this smoothed it all out and it dries with NO frizz.  I have a pretty strong wave down the back of my head and this didn't straighten that out b/c it doesn't change your hair like keratin/perms do.  So if your hair is curly, it will make your curls just more manageable and smooth, it won't make your hair super straight.  All in all, I'm really happy with it so far!  My husband has some before and after shots on his business facebook page, if you want to check it out.

 

Tony D's facebook page


sorry to hear about your bad experience, perhaps you were particularily sensitive to an ingredient? i hope you reported it to the company!

 

after trying the keratin complex - hoping all goes well, i think i'll try the BB to compare....especially if the results are as good as they make it all sound.

 

hope your hair is ok now  =)



#17 JaimeCF2BR

JaimeCF2BR
  • Jr. Member
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

I'm so glad this thread already exists!  I had my normal highlight/cut appointment yesterday and my hair stylist was raving about the brazilian blowout!  I have fine straight hair, but the thought of having no frizz for 3-4 months would be amazing. 

 

My wedding isn't until May, so I was thinking of doing it now as a "trial run" to see how I like it.  Before forking out $250-$350 for a trial, I'd love to hear some more reviews.  Anyone out there with fine hair try the BB? 


Azul Sensatori, May 7, 2011!!



#18 rosieposie

rosieposie
  • Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hi Jamie! You w-day is my legal day! 

 

A friend of mine recently did the BB and she has fine hair. The hair dresser recommended that they start the treatment approx. 1-2 inches away from the scalp so it doesn't make her hair flat against her head. Turned out great, she really enjoys the low maintenance.

 

I'm doing Keratin Complex myself but holding off until I decide whether I want to do it 1-2 months before the wedding or do a trial way before in case it's not what i expect...

 

lol, decisions, decisions. 



#19 hockeymom97

hockeymom97
  • Sr. Member
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:28 AM



Originally Posted by rosieposie View Post




Thanks! Yes, that's the one - by Coppola!!

Ok, I'm going with that one then

 

Can you please ask when you have it done that after all the downtime and such, can you use styling tools (curlers) and still do updos without ruining the effects?

 

I would like to do it a month or so before the wedding but want to curl or put my hair up for the wedding at the same time don't want to ruin the effects of the treatment.


I ended up having to cancel my appt due to scheduling conflicts but am trying to make another appt within the next couple of weeks. But here is what hes told me so far. It's def 3 days of downtime. He said absolutely no washing it, styling it, headbands...anything. He even told me not to tuck it behind my ears. The Coppola actually coats the hair shaft, so if you do anything to it during those days, you risk "breaking" that coating, and you won't get the full effect of the treatment.
 

 

After the 3 days, you still need to use the special shampoo and conditioner but you can style how you want it...flat iron, curlers, etc.


Heather & Eric ~ May 5th, 2011 ~ Beaches Turks & Caicos

#20 rosieposie

rosieposie
  • Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

thanks for the info     =)

the 3 day downtime will definately suck but @ $149, with a cut, the deal was too good to pass up. makes the price of getting the shampoo and condiitoner "no so bad'.

 
great knowing the use of curlers and straighters after is ok.
 

Originally Posted by hockeymom97 View Post




I ended up having to cancel my appt due to scheduling conflicts but am trying to make another appt within the next couple of weeks. But here is what hes told me so far. It's def 3 days of downtime. He said absolutely no washing it, styling it, headbands...anything. He even told me not to tuck it behind my ears. The Coppola actually coats the hair shaft, so if you do anything to it during those days, you risk "breaking" that coating, and you won't get the full effect of the treatment.
 

 

After the 3 days, you still need to use the special shampoo and conditioner but you can style how you want it...flat iron, curlers, etc.








1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users







Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter