Photo

Jewish Wedding

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 addisonreed1113

addisonreed1113
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

We are also interfaith (he's jewish, I'm methodist) and originally were going to bring a Rabbi down. But after adding all the costs (stay, flight, food plus he was bringing his wife) we decided to have a non-denominational minister incorporate some jewish/christian traditions. neither of us is super religious, but we are spiritual and we would love to have both traditions at our ceremony. This is what I've put together so far:
    (not in the correct order):
    7 Jewish Blessings
    Exchange of Rings
    Blessing of the Wine
    Sign of Peace (turn to your neigbor "peace be with you")
    Breaking of the glass
    Corinthians read
    Be thou my vision sung (celtic hymn)
    Irish Blessing (I have irish background)
    Benediction

So it's a big mish-mosh of tradition! I'd love to see anyone else's ideas!
    There are three things that last: faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.
    - I Corinthians 13:13

#12 nylalany

nylalany
    • 625 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

I am Jewish and my FI is not and there are definitely rabbis in the US who would marry us based on various criteria (promising to raise the kids Jewish, etc.). However, the list I had didn't include anyone from Mexico and so I didn't make any headway in my search there. In the end we decided to go with a person we know (my cousin's new husband) to marry us rather than flying down a stranger we haven't met, but I do plan on having a chuppah, a version of the 7 blessings, and the breaking of the glass.

#13 Maartje Oremus

Maartje Oremus
      • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

We have also experienced that it is the easiest to fly in your own rabbi from the States. There is one rabbi available in Cancun, however he just moved here a couple of months ago and has mentioned he is not yet prepared to perform weddings.
        He also says that due to all the preparations that a jewish wedding implies, it is very complicated to have a jewish wedding outside of your own country.
        When you bring in your own rabbi, you can do all the preparation and talks with him up front.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck!

email]maartje@ajua.biz
        http://www.ajuaweddings.comAjua Weddings: Planning destination weddings in the Riviera Maya since 2004

#14 nancnursi

nancnursi
        • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

My son and daughter in law had a very nice wedding that incorporated both faiths. Get The "Everything Jewish Wedding Book" by Helen Latner. It should give you great ideas. R reform rabbi or cantor will marry you. Good luck and Mazel Tov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter