Sign in to follow this  
purplekitten

Anyone Else Frustrated By Prefered Vendors?

My resort has a prefered photographer and a prefered company for DJ/lighting.

I had a really hard time getting information out of the photographer but finally got things settled.

Now, I want to get a price quote from the DJ, but he doesn't want to respond to me!  He responded to my original email to ask me how many people we would be having (because how much music costs depends on how many people are listening?), and I gave him the information immediately.

It's been a week, and I haven't heard back, even though I sent another email yesterday morning asking if he had been able to put a quote together yet. 

All of the other DJs I contacted sent me quotes, but I have to pay the resort a $500 fee if I choose one of them!

I don't feel like I hsould have to pay money to not use someone who has terrible customer service from day one!

What am I supposed to do here?

• Like 1

I know it sucks that resorts charge outside vendor fees but they all do, unless you go with an offsite reception. Some resorts have excellent vendors and there's no need to hire an outside one, but some others leave a lot to be desired. 

I would base my decision on the trust you have with the vendor rather than on the fee. If the guy isn't responding I'd probably bite the bullet and hire someone I trust rather than hope for the best with someone who is not very responsive. Otherwise you'll be wondering whether they'll do a good job at the wedding, etc. If it makes you feel any better our resort charges $800 per vendor :( 

Any idea why they do this?  What is the benefit to the resort to force their paying customers to use a crappy service?

• Like 1

Any idea why they do this?  What is the benefit to the resort to force their paying customers to use a crappy service?

I'm honestly not sure why. The wedding business is a big one over there and I'm guessing the hotels sign a contract with their chosen vendors and they get a percentage of the fee you pay, which means it's better business for them if you hire one of their vendors. 

Basically it's another way of making money :(

I'm honestly not sure why. The wedding business is a big one over there and I'm guessing the hotels sign a contract with their chosen vendors and they get a percentage of the fee you pay, which means it's better business for them if you hire one of their vendors.

Basically it's another way of making money :(

You said it. You use theirs they get a % or if you don't they get the vendor fee. They are lining their pockets. We get screwed back home too just isn't as noticeable. Anything with the word wedding in it is over priced from the get go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@purplekitten - I'm sure you don't want to start to an argument with your WC, but I would certainly address your concerns and, perhaps, even be a little stern on the fact that if you don't start getting answers in a reasonably timely manner and/or better customer service you want to speak to a manager at the resort about getting the fee for an outside vendor waived. Again, this depends on your comfortability level, but at the end of the day it's still your wedding and you are still the one paying for service.

• Like 1

I finally complained to my wedding coordinator after I hadn't gotten a response from the preferred vendor in TWO WEEKS (and I sent a reminder email to him after one week).

He got me a quote later that day.  With my name spelled wrong.  And the wedding date off by 5 months.

I pointed it out, and he fixed it and quoted me a 10% discount.

I still don't feel great about using his services.  There's another company I really want to use, but with the outside vendor fee, it would cost almost 50% more to use them.

I don't want to condone the lousy customer service by hiring the inside guy, but I don't want to throw away money to make a point, either.

• Like 2