Photo

Is It Inappropriate To Ask Parents For Help With Wedding Expenses?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 Victoriabride

Victoriabride
  • 58 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 18, 2015
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

Thank you so much  ladies! Boy am I glad I found this website! it has helped me so much with the planning process and more!

I feel so much better after getting that off my chest and hearing what you all had to say! Sometimes it helps to just vent! It looks like all of you are on the same page. I did feel wrong about asking them, so now I have to talk to my FH and hopefully he can open his mind and realize that not all people are traditional, well off, and that all family situations are different!! We are grown adults and should not be asking for financial help!.. I do feel that their presence at our wedding is all we really need! ahhh..  I feel so much better..! thank you all once again :)

#12 JoannaBanana

JoannaBanana
  • 319 posts
    • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

My mother said to me about the expense of attending a destination wedding "well... We wont be able to give you much of a wedding gift" and it just broke my heart to hear her feel stress of the obligation. I told her just their being there was all I want.

My Planning Thread (Grand Sirenis 05.12.16)http://www.bestdesti...-grand-sirenis/<p>

weight.png
    event.png

#13 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
    • 4,506 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

My mother said to me about the expense of attending a destination wedding "well... We wont be able to give you much of a wedding gift" and it just broke my heart to hear her feel stress of the obligation. I told her just their being there was all I want.

I agree, that is why I won't ask my dad to follow thru on the honeymoon promise. I know it's on his mind and we will leave it there ;)   We had a few large sum money gifts and one I actually said I had a hard time accepting - she told me she wasn't taking it back and to move on.   I know sometimes that is a bit taboo too, but it was really weighing on me.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#14 JamaicaNicole

JamaicaNicole
    • 91 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 4, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Montego Bay, Jamaica (Secrets)
    • LocationPA

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

You are definitely not alone, My fiance and I are paying for the whole wedding ourselves without any help. I love my parents and I am very close with them but they are just not well off or fiscally responsible. I have paid for everything my whole life including college and even starting at 19 they have been borrowing money from me. My fiances family will not help at all and made the whole experience in the beginning a nightmare. His mom freaked out at us and said we were being selfish for have a DW. Now his stepdad is not going and not sure about his sister and brother since they are not sure they can save up, which hurts because they are supposed to be in the wedding. Its hard not to feel bitter that we have to pay for everything ourselves and I even have to pay for my parents to go but at the end of the day I am excited that I am going to have a beautiful wedding that is exactly what I want. Don't follow the norms or be forced into doing anything you don't want to do and dont let money ruin your big day.

#15 Victoriabride

Victoriabride
    • 58 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 18, 2015
    • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for sharing :) Good on ya girl for being so independent and working so hard for the things you want. Hearing your story makes me feel even less inclined to want to ask for help when it comes to our wedding. I feel that my FH and I made the decision to have a destination wedding, and as  adults we should be paying for it on our with without expecting any handouts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users