Freaking Out! Nov 1, 2014 And I Am Regretting My Hotel Location

Hi everyone. I am Elle and I got engaged in April of 2014, I chose a wedding date of Nov 1, 2014 in Ocho Rios at the RUI hotel. I am somewhat regretting the decision based on some of the photos of the hotel I have seen. I made a rushed decision due to my travel agent pressing me to hurry and pick a location, and I had to think about accomodating kids, which would be harder. I feel like i was pressured and now I regret it. A lot of family have their flights, and some have even booked the room so I doubt I can change it now. But I want to know if anyone used this hotel and they were happy with it.

Also, my hair and make up girls can't make it so I am concerned that I won't get the look I want to have. And I am freaking about a photographer. I like the guy on the site because he is very helpful with planning, though I should have spoken to my planner by now and I have not! He gave me a lot of good pointers on how the sun sets in Ocho Rios and when the best time to have the wedding would be. But I should probably get other quotes. I say this because most of his photos are on the resort and I am not impressed with that location anymore, now that I have had time to see other locations.

That bring me to my last point, I have been so busy at work that I have barely had time to find a gown! I happen to be very tall (6'0) so I had to get a gown that didn't require extra length. That was a TASK. I found one but it is late. I don't have it yet. I am 3 months away from my wedding date. I am so busy at work, with travel and getting promotions that I am afraid I am going to fall apart at the seams! I will stop rambling now.

I just needed to vent and get some suggestions or help or advice or some tranquilizers! Geez!!

• Like 1

I don't have much advice for you unfortunately except breathe in and out and drink wine! It's good to rant and this is the perfect place to do so. 

I actually have a friend that went there. It wasn't for a wedding, just an all-inclusive with her husband, but she said she absolutely loved it, and she is on the picky side. Maybe once you get there you will find spots you like for your pictures. Hopefully everything falls into place and you have an amazing day. 

Good luck and don't forget DRINK WINE!

I am not sure how similar Riu Ocho Rios is to Riu Montego Bay, but i got married at Riu Montego Bay July 26, 2014 and it was amazing. Everything went well. The wedding was at 4:00 and the reception was at 6:30pm, which was perfect for the sunset. I was very pleased with everything. I hired a photographer off of the resort who paid her own vendor fee-Marcia Roberts. She is amazing. You will not be disapointed.  I hope that you have the same experience. 

• Like 1

Hello @@ElleDill

I don't know how else to comfort you except help you think beyond the small stuff:

- Hotel: What have you looked at that made you change your mind? No resort is absolutely perfect...if it is rather small details in the resort then just think about other things. If you can't change the resort choice, move on. You got bigger issues to deal with.

- MUA and photographer: I'm sure you can find other local vendors to help you that are just as competent. Search around this forum for reviews and suggestions.

- Dress: I found mine at a consignment store that didn't need any changes or alterations. You may be able to find something like that as well. If not, talk to some seamstress to see what they can do to add some length. Perhaps there is a dress maker online that can make a dress within 2 months? I used Dressilyme to make my 2nd dress so they may be able to help you make a dress on priority.

Drink a mojito, breath, prioritize your essentials with a checklist and finish them one by one.

Good luck with your wedding!

Elsa

• Like 1

Hi ElliDill,

I'm not able to give you much info on the hotel you chose but I can recommend 2 good photographers and an awesome makeup artist. Her name is Antoinette Bailey. You can email her at [email protected]. The photographers are from Visual Embrace Photography and AMH Photo & Video Productions. Also you can search Wedding Wire for other local wedding vendors. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey ElliDill

I too have chosen this location for my big day. I think there are going to be positive and negatives about every resort! Just try not to panic and wait until you get there, changes can be made and I've found the staff to be very helpful so far.

Good Luck :) xx

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I am so sorry I have not replied, but it never gave me notifcations! Ugh. I am so sorry.But I am much more calm now. I went ahead and chose the onsite photographer, Micheal Sordorn. He seems pretty sweet is has been really helpful talking me down off a ledge. I feel like it is going to rain on my day, judging by the reports i am seeing so far. I have to get my mind wrapped around that too. I want to say thank you girls for your encouraging and supportive words. I really appreciate it. Things are finally winding down and I can't beleive I will be Mrs. Dill next Saturday! It's unreal. I am still under a terrible amount of stress, but I can deal! I won't even bore you with the details of my shower and wedding party. Yikes! But overall, it has been so much fun planning with my mom and getting all the last minute details in order. I really want to have something simple and nice. I have a few more things to do like get jewelry and pick a hair style and make up options. But all the favors are either here or on the way, so I feel good about that. I found a really great website for OOT bags for beach weddings. But I waited too late to do those cute little survial bags for the beach. I will just have to manage without them! :)

I am taking the advice of you girls who said drink and  not to sweat the small stuff! I am doing just that!! :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I am so sorry I have not replied, but it never gave me notifcations! Ugh. I am so sorry.But I am much more calm now. I went ahead and chose the onsite photographer, Micheal Sordorn. He seems pretty sweet is has been really helpful talking me down off a ledge. I feel like it is going to rain on my day, judging by the reports i am seeing so far. I have to get my mind wrapped around that too. I want to say thank you girls for your encouraging and supportive words. I really appreciate it. Things are finally winding down and I can't beleive I will be Mrs. Dill next Saturday! It's unreal. I am still under a terrible amount of stress, but I can deal! I won't even bore you with the details of my shower and wedding party. Yikes! But overall, it has been so much fun planning with my mom and getting all the last minute details in order. I really want to have something simple and nice. I have a few more things to do like get jewelry and pick a hair style and make up options. But all the favors are either here or on the way, so I feel good about that. I found a really great website for OOT bags for beach weddings. But I waited too late to do those cute little survial bags for the beach. I will just have to manage without them! :)

I am taking the advice of you girls who said drink and  not to sweat the small stuff! I am doing just that!! :)

Good Luck sweetie!! I hope you wedding day turns out to be everything you dreamed it would be!! Hugs