BEST BANG for your buck with a 40 person party?

pinkie.gifHoly moly I'm vibrating with anticipation of what venue we choose for a 2014 wedding lo!

I was wondering if any of you could offer your thoughts on what

- resort

- resort wedding package

was the best bang for your buck with a guest list of 40-50 people.

In looking at all of the packages, trying to decipher what surcharges would add up to depending on how many guests, etc....i thought I would see if anyone has planned and executed their wedding plans at a resort that had what they deemed to be a great deal (for this large of a party).

Our priorities are:

- keeping guest budget 1500-1700 (this has become harder from my travel agent's standpoint)

- having a dinner for guests

- having a semi-private area for reception (I absolutely love the pics I see when people have their own area set up) - I know this is extra but I would love to know what kinds of "deals" you have found on this

- keeping budget to 15,000

I honestly have come to care less about having a lot of decor set up for wedding/reception, but we really want to just ensure we are going to have a nice area to do speeches, dance, and enjoy the evening.

Several packages include service for 2-3 hrs, and I was wondering if any of you know whether this means that people need to LEAVE the private area after this point? or can you hang out and do your own thing for the evening if you want?

Of course this will differ from resort to resort - AGAIN WHY I AM ASKING IF ANYONE HAS GONE THROUGH THIS WHOLE PROCESS!

I hope this all makes sense, can't thank you all enough for the info you've already helped me out with!!

Katie

What month are you hoping to get married? We found that makes a huge difference in prices. Originally we wanted April, but prices were way higher than what we wanted for our guests (all around $2000 for 5 star resorts in the Mayan Riviera), so we ended up selecting December, and although it might not be the best time for everyone that we've invited, it worked for us (I have to keep telling myself that we're who matter most and not worry about those who can't come). Prices were from $1300-$1500 from every departure city in Canada (including all taxes) with Westjet Vacations. I think we have guests coming from Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton, Ottawa, Moncton and Halifax.

I'd recommend steering clear of Sunwing or Air transat and going with Westjet or Air Canada for your guests. Although they may be a bit cheaper, I have heard some horror stories of flights being cancelled last-minute with the charters.

The resort we selected includes a private dinner in the wedding package for 25 guests. Their wedding packages that offer this were $2300 or $3000 (depending on the package). They have several different options for private dining areas, and they will also block off a private area for a cocktail hour for your guests while you'll likely be taking photos.

If you have more than 25 guests you do need to pay extra, as I imagine you do at other resorts as well. This extra price varies depending on the menu you've selected. I think it's around $60/pp extra for the one we picked.

If you're considering the Now Jade at all, I can send you the budget breakdown spreadsheet that I've been using. I think we're looking at around 18k, but we're also paying around 6k combined for a photographer and videographer, so even with extra people I don't think it would be a problem for you to come in under your budget (regardless of the resort you choose).

Ironman thank you for your awesome input (once again!!!) The time of year factor is huge. We deliberately did not set a specific date because we don't care! What we want is to find a good price for our guests. As such, we are thinking February or March, early March. We are hoping to meet with TA this weekend. Since first talking to her we have done tons of research on Expedia.ca. We have found that it is completely possible to find a five-star resort for under 15 or $1600. This makes us hopeful that we can find something through our travel agent!!! I will pm u my email an I would LOVE to see your spreadsheet! I LOVE SPREADSHEETS LOL.

• 2 years later...

Hi MrsShoreytobe! Would love to know what you decided on for your wedding! I am looking into the same area and I am trying to make it easy and as affordable for my guests as possible. Any info you have would be so so helpful!

Thanks!

Welcome to our forum community heben42 and Congrats on your upcoming destination wedding!!!

Yes would love to hear from you, MrsShoreytobe about which wedding venue you chose and how your wedding went :) Please share when you get the chance.

Here's some visual inspiration to ramp up your creative flow even more......enjoy!!!

...taken from our Riviera Maya Wedding Albums:

e89d55_8f42bb2fbd8243aa8be194611e8acc17.

e89d55_7c155bf31e064ec68340ca9527dbf1ce.

e89d55_65c804170a5f4b4bbeb7b4050e21cf6f.

Wishing you happy research, and that you find the Best answers for YOU - cheers!!! team MTM :)