Sonoma County/Russian River

I'm getting hitched in Guerneville next August, and I thought I'd start a thread so anyone who's doing the deed west of Napa can share more localized info. Our families will be spending about a week there, and here are my tentative plans for actitivies & vendors - if you have experience with any of them (or recommendations for better ones), please chime in! If you have rather specific questions or advice, you can email me at [email protected].

Catering - Preferred Sonoma Caterers

Preferred Sonoma Caterers - Catering in Sonoma, Marin, Napa, and San Francisco

These caterers were recommended by a very enthusiastic bride on indiebrides.com, and they have been incredibly friendly and responsive (got a proposal within an hour of my request). Their rates are reasonable and the chef is excited to do a vegetarian/vegan reception - she says she considers it "an exciting creative challenge" - what a cutie! We haven't decided on the menu yet, but the proposal was for heavy apps, a chocolate fountain, 2 servers & all taxes & delivery fees for $30pp for 30 people. Their proposal includes beautiful fancy displays & I'm going to supplement with pizza delivery & ice cream bars :-) See their web site for very detailed menu & pricing information. Oh yeah, and they'll do day-of coordination for I think $350. Since their carryout meal prices are quite reasonable, we're going to hire them to cater some additional meals for the family during the week as well.

Bulk Flower Delivery - California Organic Flowers

https://californiaorganicflowers.com...yword_weddings

I'm not sure whether we'll do the flower thing or not, but if so, we'll probably get a bulk delivery of organic flowers from these guys. For around $250, you can get either 90 calla lilies or a party pack of bunches 12 different kinds of flowers.

Photography - Donya Photography (Deeba Yavrom)

Donya Photography

(This guy isn't local, he's in Davis and charges a transportation fee.)

I found this guy through indiebrides as well, and we're not going to hire him until I get out to California to meet him, but I really like his web site and he's extremely friendly and responsive. He shoots on digital, both photojournalistic style and portrait style, which is just what we're looking for. His rates start at $1,049 for a 6-hour shoot + editing, and for $200 he'll bring a 2nd shooter. We're going to have the 2nd shooter set up a portrait area for fun portraits of extended family and friends, which we're going to stock with costume accessories.

Live Music (national search site)

Live Entertainment Booking Agents, Wedding Music, DJs, Party Music Bands

I came across this site randomly, and it has tons of information on performers, including sound bites for many of them and bid price history for most of them, and it makes it really easy and fast to get quotes from a number of bands or solo performers. I made 10 requests and got 8 quotes back within 24 hours. I think we're going to hire a cover band (for $1400, but I got quotes as low as $300), and maybe a xylophone player. I also want to find a balloon artist (to make balloon animals during the cocktail hour) and a firedancer or two, so if you know people who do this, please let me know.

Activities

Winetasting

We're going to rent a few limos to take the family on a 4-hour winetasting tour, and I think we'll probably use this company, but I'm not sure.

Napa winery tours, Sonoma winery tours, and transportation from California Wine Tours

It comes out to $10 per person per hour.

We haven't narrowed down our list of vineyards at all and we've never been to any of these, but we want to visit 3 or 4 places that offer maximum variety - free tasting, incredible wine, beautiful location, champagne, organic, educational tour, etc.

Here's our current list:

Korbel Champagne Cellars, Guerneville

http://www.korbel.com/

Davis Bynum Winery, Healdsburg

Davis Bynum - Russian River Valley Wines

Alexander Valley Vineyards Winery, Healdsburg

Alexander Valley Vineyards

Hanna Winery, Healdsburg

Winery - Tasting Rooms

Hop Kiln Winery, Healdsburg

Hop Kiln Winery Welcomes You

Sausal Vineyard & Winery, Healdsburg

Sausal Winery Estate Zinfandels

Toad Hollow Tasting Room, Healdsburg

Toad Hollow Vineyards

Michel-Schlumberger Winery, Healdsburg

http://www.michelschlumberger.com/

F. Teldeschi Winery, Healdsburg

Teldeschi Winery

Sunce Winery & Vineyards, Santa Rosa

Suncé Winery : Suncé Winery

Paradise Ridge Winery, Santa Rosa

Paradise Ridge Winery

Beach Activities, at or near Bodega Bay

Go horseback riding on the beach

Bodega Bay horse riding stable Chanslor Ranch

Take surfing lessons

Bodega Bay Surf Shack

Russian River Activities

Go fishing, canoeing, kayaking or tubing (is the water cold for tubing??)

Burke's Canoe Trips on the Russian River

http://www.guernevillesport.com/King...r/Welcome.html

Other Activities

Safari West

Home - Safari West

Take a safari at an African wildlife preserve in Northern California (??!)

Miniature golf, Guerneville

Pee Wee Golf, Guerneville, California

Calistoga

- Mud bath: Golden Haven Hot Springs (couples treatments) Napa Valley Spa Specials at Calistoga Golden Haven Hot Springs or Indian Springs (maybe nicer) Indian Springs Resort and Spa

- Petrified Forest

- Old Faithful Geyser

Leopards, Etc, Occidental

Maybe we'll have some wild cats in our wedding?

Leopards, Etc. Home

Restaurants & Cafes

Mosaic Restaurant & Wine Lounge, Forestville

www.mosaic.com/about.htm

East West Bakery Cafe, Sebastopol

Screamin' Mimi's, Sebastopol

Screamin' Mimi's Ice Cream - Ice Cream is fun, but we take it seriously!

Coffee Bazaar, Guerneville

Coffee Bazaar Guerneville | Yelp.com

Pat's Restaurant, Guerneville

Yelp | Pat's Restaurant Guerneville

Adorno's Pizza, Guerneville

Forestville Club Forestville | Yelp

Union Hotel Restaurant, Occidental and Santa Rosa

Family-style Italian dining, also bulk take-out orders

Restaurants and Facilities

Bars

Russian River Resort, Guerneville

Russian River Resort :: Triple R Bar & Grill

Stumptown Brewery, Guerneville

Stumptown Brewery

Main Street Station Pizza & Cabaret, Guerneville

Main Street Station Ristorante, Cabaret & Pizzeria

Club Fab, Guerneville

Gay dance club

index

Forestville Club, Forestville

Forestville Club Forestville | Yelp

Thanks for your input, and good luck!!

yeah another Wine Country Bride. you have a lot planned and it sounds like you will have so much fun!

I got married in Napa but please let me know if you need anything.

I got all my flowers from Trader Joes in Napa, I saved a bundle but had to be somewhat flexible in my choices, but I was really happy with my flowers.

We also did the wine tour and our friends had a blast, we rented a bus to drive us and everyone loved it. Also please keep in mind that Napa Wine Tours charges a lot more than what is on their website, they actually charge for gas, driver surcharges, etc. I found it cheaper to go with a bus and more fun because everyone was in one vehicle.

My photographer Matt Kim did not charge any extra for traveling, he was awesome and so much fun to work with, let me know if you might want his info.

Christine - TJ's is a great idea (love their $12 potted orchids), thanks for the heads up on the wine tours, & please send me your photographer's info, thanks! [email protected]

akh - Thanks, I just updated my profile

Anyone - I'm booking a picnic spot for a rehearsal dinner barbecue, here's the skinny:

"Smoky's Den" Group Picnic Area in Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve, Guerneville

(This link has the wrong email address but the right phone number)

Armstrong Redwoods SR

Good: beautiful forest, seating for up to 150 people, you can reserve a spot months ahead of time, less expensive than most wedding-related things ($150), barbecue pit & 3 grills

Bad: you can't have an official reception here, there's no cover in case of rain, there's no electricity

Thanks for welcoming me to your posse!

Christine - TJ's is a great idea (love their $12 potted orchids), thanks for the heads up on the wine tours, & please send me your photographer's info, thanks! [email protected]

akh - Thanks, I just updated my profile

Anyone - I'm booking a picnic spot for a rehearsal dinner barbecue, here's the skinny:

"Smoky's Den" Group Picnic Area in Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve, Guerneville

(This link has the wrong email address but the right phone number)

Armstrong Redwoods SR

Good: beautiful forest, seating for up to 150 people, you can reserve a spot months ahead of time, less expensive than most wedding-related things ($150), barbecue pit & 3 grills

Bad: you can't have an official reception here, there's no cover in case of rain, there's no electricity

Thanks for welcoming me to your posse!