Photo

Stinky Starfish

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 amym567

amym567
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

I used stinky starfish for my placecards at my AHR. When they were all together in the boxes, they stunk really bad. After they were put on the tables, nobody noticed (I know this because we commented about it a little, and people said they didn't notice at all).
    Amy

#12 BeachBride82

BeachBride82
    • 51 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

I found this at: How to Clean Seashells | eHow.com

I've done this with conch shells and sand dollars in the past (wash, soak with diluted bleach, rinse and lay out in the sun to dry). My mom lived in Hawaii as a child and used the same process. I haven't done it with starfish, but I am sure that the cleaning process would probably be something similar (perhaps, skip the mineral oil step and reduce the amount of bleach).

Step One:
      Wash the shell out with a garden hose or in the kitchen sink. You want to remove whatever is still inside or you will likely smell your mistake later.

Step Two:
      Mix a solution of 50 percent household bleach and 50 percent water. Soak the shell in the solution for 24 hours to remove any remnants of the inhabitant.

Step Three:
      Rinse the shell thoroughly in running water. Scrub gently with an old toothbrush and mild dishwashing soap.

Step Four:
      Allow the shell to dry completely.

Step Five:
      Use a soft rag to rub mineral oil onto the shell and let it soak in for a few hours.

Step Six:
      Wipe the excess oil off and enjoy!

Tips & Warnings
      Some collectors spray their shells with WD-40 or silicon spray (which isn't wiped off).

Keep in mind that many varieties of seashells - cowries, for instance - are naturally shiny and never need polishing.

Do not use vegetable oil, which can become rancid.

#13 dallas_texas09

dallas_texas09
      • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

My wedding is not until 5 weeks from now. I wanted to get my placecards completed within the next couple of weeks. However, after reading all of your advice, do you think I can do this now and still be okay for the wedding? Or should I do it right before the wedding (closer to the date)?

#14 Leia78

Leia78
        • VIP Member
        • 2,459 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

Has anyone come up w/ a way to remove the smell of the stinky starfish?

#15 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 10,366 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

here try this thread:

http://bestdestinati....-starfish.html

#16 Leia78

Leia78
            • VIP Member
            • 2,459 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by beachbride
              Duh...I should've searched first. Thanks!

#17 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 10,366 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Leia78
                Duh...I should've searched first. Thanks!
                anytime.... theres lots of stuff on here about starfish (I would know) lol!

#18 foxytv

foxytv
                • VIP Member
                • 7,740 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:00 PM

lol -- I just bought a bunch of different types of starfish at the beach this weekend. When I got home and started to package them up in tissue paper so they don't break -- phew! Talk about stinky!

#19 Leia78

Leia78
                  • VIP Member
                  • 2,459 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by foxytv
                    lol -- I just bought a bunch of different types of starfish at the beach this weekend. When I got home and started to package them up in tissue paper so they don't break -- phew! Talk about stinky!
                    That's a good tip! I'm going to do that too b/c I'm paranoid they're going to break.

#20 Allison

Allison
                    • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

I purchased some starfish for my decor and they kinda stink! Has anyone had success in ridding them of the smell? Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

Allison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users