Cancun Wedding... NEED ADVISE ASAP!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Rabbi Shmuel

Rabbi Shmuel
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi Jencakes21,

I officiated a wedding not too long ago in Cancun (Jewish of course), and seem to remember a much better deal on the Mariachi Band, if you are still looking. I live here in Mexico City and have established some connections with different vendors in the classic wedding destinations, including Cancun, so if it's not too late, and I can be of help in your desire to trim some costs, let me know, and mazel tov on your plans!!

#12 imnotarunner

imnotarunner
    • 236 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

yeah i was completely caught off guard by mexicos prices i guess they know they can get the gringo's money  lol

thsi is tourist land.

Their DJ's cost more than the best dj in my hometown and so are photog's prices

#13 Jencakes21

Jencakes21
      • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by imnotarunner 

yeah i was completely caught off guard by mexicos prices i guess they know they can get the gringo's money  lol

thsi is tourist land.

Their DJ's cost more than the best dj in my hometown and so are photog's prices

I agree! I couldn't believe how much they were charging for some stuff. They know that were limited to picking and choosing since were so far away from home.

#14 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
        • 3,074 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hi Jennifer - sorry, I can't seem to send you an email at the address you entered above - could you pls send me a pm so I can reply to your inquiry? thx, Lincoln

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                              100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#15 imnotarunner

imnotarunner
          • 236 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

my friend is mexican and she was apalled that they tried to over charge her as well because she didnt' have a typical hispanic name. i never knew there were different prices, but she said there were

#16 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
            • 3,074 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

That's a pretty common scenario, and a fact of life here, but every place you go has its' "balances" - so it's best to focus on the good stuff, and "go with the flow" on the rest, because you're not going to change it, so no point in letting it upset you :)

just my "2 cents worth" and one of the ways I've learned to cope with life in Mexico :)

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                                  100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#17 Jencakes21

Jencakes21
              • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by imnotarunner 

my friend is mexican and she was apalled that they tried to over charge her as well because she didnt' have a typical hispanic name. i never knew there were different prices, but she said there were

OMG! Are you serious??? That is so wrong in so many ways. I've also heard that if your a mexican citizen and book a stay at any resort, you automatically get a 50% discount in comparison to what the avergae Joe would spend. Totally wrong in my opinion! It's definitely not like that down here in LA, everyone is charged the same rate across the board.

#18 imnotarunner

imnotarunner
                • 236 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

my friend had to call them up and tell them she is mexican. she had to do that with the photographer and other vendors. 

sadly in Asia it's the same. There's a tourist price and a local price for the same damn thing

#19 JessiTaylor

JessiTaylor
                  • 296 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

i only had one photographer directly say on the written proposal they sent me that "citizens of mexico get a 30% discount"

BUT as ive mentioned elsewhere, prices quoted in pesos are often cheaper than those in dollars. sometimes its because they use a 1-10 exchange rate. eg  14900 pesos or 1490 dollars (which arent the same amount of money) and sometimes its a "foreigner tax"

to be fair, mexicans do get paid far less than their professional counterparts in US and cancun prices are often geared towards tourists/foreigners so it does kind of make sense?

#20 BridetobeABCD

BridetobeABCD
                    • 221 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Great suggestions. I like the iPod idea :) or having the DJ play the Mariachi music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users