Jump to content
Emily11386

2013 Gran Caribe Real/ Royal Cancun Brides

Recommended Posts

Hi Ladies,

I just got back from our Site Visit at the Royal/Gran Caribe. We stayed at the Royal, but our actual wedding we will stay at the Gran Caribe since we have kids coming to the wedding. Here is some insight on things I learned this weekend, hope it helps for you too!

 

Royal vs Gran Caribe

 

The Royal is a true luxury resort from the moment you walk in they welcome you with champagne and all their rooms are suites. We had the swim up suite, which includes a semi- private pool that was amazing. The food here is very good; itâ€s really romantic and geared towards couples.

 

Gran Caribe is also very nice, the entire is pretty, but much more of a louder crowd. Thus, if you have a loud big family, like we do, then itâ€s perfect. I did not have a chance to see the rooms because they were at capacity.

 

The Chapel:

We are having a Catholic ceremony and itâ€s even more beautiful in person. Itâ€s not that big I think it probably fits comfortably 80-90 people. I will mention that the aisle is not that long so fyi for anyone who is purchasing an aisle runner. I personally have decided itâ€s not worth it.. I think rose peddles on each side on the aisle would look perfect.

Also be sure to buy your lazo and coins prior to getting to Cancun, our wedding coordinator Diana said in Cancun itâ€s hard to find and there wonâ€t be much of an option.

 

Gazebo Cocktail/ Beach Reception:

We are having our cocktail hr at the Gazebo at the Royal and our reception on the beach located downstairs from the Gazebo.

When having a beach reception you have two options for locations. Either the beach right by the chapel on the Gran Caribe side or the Beach on the Royal side.

Honestly there's not much of a difference except if you chose the beach right next to the chapel then your cocktail hr will be on the beach too and the palms have lights wrapped around them. I wanted to have separate locations, thus went with Royal beach instead.

 

Food:


At our food tasting we went with:

 

Salad: E005 goat cheese, fresh spinach, & dressed with tarragon sauce (it was delish) / we also tried the E005 beef Carpaccio (didn't care for it at all) and the E008 caprese salad (it was good, but something very typical in my opinion)- We were looking for a Wow Factor.

 

Main course: We chose Ps003 Coconut Shrimp (loved!!!! they said itâ€s the chefs specialty) & Sp0014 Beef Filet Tournedo au Mustard (I'm not much of a beef person, but my fiancé is and he loved it), we also tried the PS012 Stuff Calamari Surf & Turf (it was okay, nothing special)

Dessert: we decided on the P003 Mango Parfait au Tequila (it was very flavorful, I love sweets) we also tried the p002 Lemon Mouse (it was good) and the P001 Apply Tart (we didnâ€t like this one at all)

 

Extras:

 

Flowers:

Diana, the wedding coordinator of course said we should do the flowers with the resort, but they are pricey! She also mentioned if you use an outside vendor she cannot touch the flowers fyi...

 

Despite that I am still using an outside vendor Vanessa Jimenez.. if they deliver it outside the resort you do not have to pay the vendor fee! And you will save a couple of hundreds, for example the bouquets for the bridesmaids with the resort its 80 USD and with the florist there 50 USD...

 

I met with the florist during my visit and she assured me she would have the flowers there at 9 in the morning so we wouldn't get in the way of the girls getting ready. I plan on having 3 of my bridesmaids get the center pieces and bouquets and leaving them in the room until itâ€s time to set up.

 

Decorations:

 

Diana said she will set up any decorations for the church/reception that you bring from home (just not outside vendor flowers). Our wedding starts at 4, and she said the flowers could be placed on the reception tables from 2-3. So i plan on just having the girls place the centerpieces on each table at this time.. At max it will take about 15 minutes and it will save money to spend on other things :)

 

Makeup:

 

FYI Diana told me if I use a makeup artist outside of the resort you have to pay an outside vendor fee 350 usd, which I find ridiculous!!!!! I already booked my makeup with Norma for Mac and she is coming to the resort (we have 7 girls getting there makeup done) which I thought all I had to do is get her a guest pass...

So now Iâ€m trying to find out how to go about this, because I refuse to pay an outside vendor fee for makeup! If any of you past brides have used a makeup artist before please let me know how you went about getting them in!!! I figured if I tell the makeup artist to say she's my friend and just get her an day pass how will they really know??? Please share your thoughts.

 

Photography:

 

Iâ€m using an outside vendor Citalli Rico and met her during this trip, she was really nice, her prices were reasonable, and she's all about moment pictures which is what I preferred.

 

Weather in Cancun in Feb:

First and foremost I live in Miami so Iâ€m a tough critic, but this weekend was pretty chilly.

If you are having your wedding in Feb I would suggest telling your guest to bring long sleeve shirts and pants/jeans. While the sun is out you will be fine it does feel hot and breezy which is nice. However when the sun is not out it feels cold, but ironically the ocean water is warm.

 

Well I hope this review helps!

 

Good luck brides!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some questions for y'all? My date is fast approaching, July 5! Why are y'all picking outside photographers/videographers? Did I miss something? And as far as flowers I think with the time and cost of finding outside vendor, Once the GCR taxes on outside vendor fee are you really saving money$? I am now wondering if I need to start looking around too. I have been going with all info Paty has sent me cause I wanted things be easier. That's why I chose destination. But after reading here I'm wondering if I should find different photographer. We also are going the next day to better locations to do TTD shots at cenotes so I didn't plan on paying hotel for that. We know a great photographer in cancun. ^makeup SCAM! I was going use hotel salon. Heard they did good. Plus being in July I figure my makeupwon't last long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by mrsguinovart View Post

 

Hi Ladies,

I just got back from our Site Visit at the Royal/Gran Caribe. We stayed at the Royal, but our actual wedding we will stay at the Gran Caribe since we have kids coming to the wedding. Here is some insight on things I learned this weekend, hope it helps for you too!

 

Royal vs Gran Caribe

 

The Royal is a true luxury resort from the moment you walk in they welcome you with champagne and all their rooms are suites. We had the swim up suite, which includes a semi- private pool that was amazing. The food here is very good; itâ€s really romantic and geared towards couples.

 

Gran Caribe is also very nice, the entire is pretty, but much more of a louder crowd. Thus, if you have a loud big family, like we do, then itâ€s perfect. I did not have a chance to see the rooms because they were at capacity.

 

The Chapel:

We are having a Catholic ceremony and itâ€s even more beautiful in person. Itâ€s not that big I think it probably fits comfortably 80-90 people. I will mention that the aisle is not that long so fyi for anyone who is purchasing an aisle runner. I personally have decided itâ€s not worth it.. I think rose peddles on each side on the aisle would look perfect.

Also be sure to buy your lazo and coins prior to getting to Cancun, our wedding coordinator Diana said in Cancun itâ€s hard to find and there wonâ€t be much of an option.

 

Gazebo Cocktail/ Beach Reception:

We are having our cocktail hr at the Gazebo at the Royal and our reception on the beach located downstairs from the Gazebo.

When having a beach reception you have two options for locations. Either the beach right by the chapel on the Gran Caribe side or the Beach on the Royal side.

Honestly there's not much of a difference except if you chose the beach right next to the chapel then your cocktail hr will be on the beach too and the palms have lights wrapped around them. I wanted to have separate locations, thus went with Royal beach instead.

 

Food:

 

At our food tasting we went with:

 

Salad: E005 goat cheese, fresh spinach, & dressed with tarragon sauce (it was delish) / we also tried the E005 beef Carpaccio (didn't care for it at all) and the E008 caprese salad (it was good, but something very typical in my opinion)- We were looking for a Wow Factor.

 

Main course: We chose Ps003 Coconut Shrimp (loved!!!! they said itâ€s the chefs specialty) & Sp0014 Beef Filet Tournedo au Mustard (I'm not much of a beef person, but my fiancé is and he loved it), we also tried the PS012 Stuff Calamari Surf & Turf (it was okay, nothing special)

Dessert: we decided on the P003 Mango Parfait au Tequila (it was very flavorful, I love sweets) we also tried the p002 Lemon Mouse (it was good) and the P001 Apply Tart (we didnâ€t like this one at all)

 

Extras:

 

Flowers:

Diana, the wedding coordinator of course said we should do the flowers with the resort, but they are pricey! She also mentioned if you use an outside vendor she cannot touch the flowers fyi...

 

Despite that I am still using an outside vendor Vanessa Jimenez.. if they deliver it outside the resort you do not have to pay the vendor fee! And you will save a couple of hundreds, for example the bouquets for the bridesmaids with the resort its 80 USD and with the florist there 50 USD...

 

I met with the florist during my visit and she assured me she would have the flowers there at 9 in the morning so we wouldn't get in the way of the girls getting ready. I plan on having 3 of my bridesmaids get the center pieces and bouquets and leaving them in the room until itâ€s time to set up.

 

Decorations:

 

Diana said she will set up any decorations for the church/reception that you bring from home (just not outside vendor flowers). Our wedding starts at 4, and she said the flowers could be placed on the reception tables from 2-3. So i plan on just having the girls place the centerpieces on each table at this time.. At max it will take about 15 minutes and it will save money to spend on other things :)

 

Makeup:

 

FYI Diana told me if I use a makeup artist outside of the resort you have to pay an outside vendor fee 350 usd, which I find ridiculous!!!!! I already booked my makeup with Norma for Mac and she is coming to the resort (we have 7 girls getting there makeup done) which I thought all I had to do is get her a guest pass...

So now Iâ€m trying to find out how to go about this, because I refuse to pay an outside vendor fee for makeup! If any of you past brides have used a makeup artist before please let me know how you went about getting them in!!! I figured if I tell the makeup artist to say she's my friend and just get her an day pass how will they really know??? Please share your thoughts.

 

Photography:

 

Iâ€m using an outside vendor Citalli Rico and met her during this trip, she was really nice, her prices were reasonable, and she's all about moment pictures which is what I preferred.

 

Weather in Cancun in Feb:

First and foremost I live in Miami so Iâ€m a tough critic, but this weekend was pretty chilly.

If you are having your wedding in Feb I would suggest telling your guest to bring long sleeve shirts and pants/jeans. While the sun is out you will be fine it does feel hot and breezy which is nice. However when the sun is not out it feels cold, but ironically the ocean water is warm.

 

Well I hope this review helps!

 

Good luck brides!!!

 

 

Thank you for sharing your site visit review.  

 

Question for you on the decoration - your wedding will be at 4pm, but you have to place your decorations at the reception tables at 2-3pm?  Could you help me clarify?  I'm thinking of getting flowers from the outside vendor as well.  How did you find Vanessa?  Is she familiar with Gran Caribe and its chapel?

 

Do you find that the small pool at Gran Caribe would bother you during your wedding stay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nina: Iâ€m going with an outside photographer bc the reviews of the resort photographer weren't good and photography is very important to me.

There is also no outside vendor fee if you pick up the flowers in front of the resort, as long as they donâ€t come in. Honestly, for me it works better my centerpieces will be at least 300 less than going with the outside florist. Itâ€s all a personal choice; I just rather use that money for something else.

 

 

Ornxoxo: If there is another wedding that day then you have a two hours gap before your wedding starts to put whatever decorations you would like to add. The wedding coordinator will do most of the decorating, but the flowers from outside vendors she wonâ€t touch. Thus, from 2-3 I plan to have the girls place the centerpieces on each table. Iâ€m thinking it will take a max 15 minutes there literally placing them on the table. I found Vanessa on another bride review, she does beautiful stuff and at a reasonable price. She has worked with the Gran Caribe before and knows the process.

The pool is small, but there are two pools and the beach is also right there. I do not see it being such a problem, it kind of keep the group together.

Also the suite i reserved has access to the Royal so we can always go over there as well.

FYI something i forgot to mention is that if you are doing a Catholic Wedding they only require your Baptism Certificates & the letter from your parish.

You do not have to get married legally before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nina: Iâ€m going with an outside photographer bc the reviews of the resort photographer weren't good and photography is very important to me. There is also no outside vendor fee if you pick up the flowers in front of the resort, as long as they donâ€t come in. Honestly, for me it works better my centerpieces will be at least 300 less than going with the outside florist. Itâ€s all a personal choice; I just rather use that money for something else. Ornxoxo: If there is another wedding that day then you have a two hours gap before your wedding starts to put whatever decorations you would like to add. The wedding coordinator will do most of the decorating, but the flowers from outside vendors she wonâ€t touch. Thus, from 2-3 I plan to have the girls place the centerpieces on each table. Iâ€m thinking it will take a max 15 minutes there literally placing them on the table. I found Vanessa on another bride review, she does beautiful stuff and at a reasonable price. She has worked with the Gran Caribe before and knows the process. The pool is small, but there are two pools and the beach is also right there. I do not see it being such a problem, it kind of keep the group together. Also the suite i reserved has access to the Royal so we can always go over there as well. FYI something i forgot to mention is that if you are doing a Catholic Wedding they only require your Baptism Certificates & the letter from your parish. You do not have to get married legally before.
Do you have link or email for your florist? I'd love to see her work and prices...... Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by NinaO View Post

 

I have some questions for y'all? My date is fast approaching, July 5! Why are y'all picking outside photographers/videographers? Did I miss something? And as far as flowers I think with the time and cost of finding outside vendor, Once the GCR taxes on outside vendor fee are you really saving money$? I am now wondering if I need to start looking around too. I have been going with all info Paty has sent me cause I wanted things be easier. That's why I chose destination. But after reading here I'm wondering if I should find different photographer. We also are going the next day to better locations to do TTD shots at cenotes so I didn't plan on paying hotel for that. We know a great photographer in cancun. ^makeup SCAM! I was going use hotel salon. Heard they did good. Plus being in July I figure my makeupwon't last long.

So far the only vendor I'm bringing in from outside is the photographer and this is because I just wasn't crazy about the one at the resort. I had a bad experience where I didn't like my engagement photos so we aren't taking chances! After reading the recent comments, I may bring in a florist and pick up flowers outside the resort to avoid the fee. I don't know that I'll save much money doing that because I want pretty basic florals, but hopefully I'll get slightly nicer bouquets for the same price. Honestly I'm not sold on the trouble of this just yet because flowers aren't on my short list of importance, but I just want to see what else I can get for the money. I might also use an outside baker. I really want a custom groom's cake with the theme of our favorite football team, and am waiting to hear if the resort can make it for me. If I have to pay for an outside vendor for one cake I may as well have them make mine too! Here is the baker I'm considering www.arteenpastel.com. Linda has been very responsive and patient while I figure out what the resort can do and will charge. I have been upfront with all the outside quotes I've asked for that there is a big fee they are competing with. I will be getting my hair and makeup done by the hotel. We have enough guests coming that it was worth it to pay for the Royal Catholic Wedding package instead of Classic, so it's included anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So far the only vendor I'm bringing in from outside is the photographer and this is because I just wasn't crazy about the one at the resort. I had a bad experience where I didn't like my engagement photos so we aren't taking chances! After reading the recent comments, I may bring in a florist and pick up flowers outside the resort to avoid the fee. I don't know that I'll save much money doing that because I want pretty basic florals, but hopefully I'll get slightly nicer bouquets for the same price. Honestly I'm not sold on the trouble of this just yet because flowers aren't on my short list of importance, but I just want to see what else I can get for the money. I might also use an outside baker. I really want a custom groom's cake with the theme of our favorite football team, and am waiting to hear if the resort can make it for me. If I have to pay for an outside vendor for one cake I may as well have them make mine too! Here is the baker I'm considering www.arteenpastel.com. Linda has been very responsive and patient while I figure out what the resort can do and will charge. I have been upfront with all the outside quotes I've asked for that there is a big fee they are competing with. I will be getting my hair and makeup done by the hotel. We have enough guests coming that it was worth it to pay for the Royal Catholic Wedding package instead of Classic, so it's included anyway.
Are you getting married at GCR? I was told that they don't allow outside food therefore I couldn't have anyone else do my cake. .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by ncalvar View Post

 

 

Are you getting married at GCR? I was told that they don't allow outside food therefore I couldn't have anyone else do my cake. .....

Interesting... Actually I had priced out the baker on my own and asked my WC how much GCR would charge to make the cake and if they even could. So my plan was to wait and use the outside baker if she tells me that no, they can't make it... Thanks for the heads up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
    • So we are currently looking for an all inclusive resort for the wedding. We have 60 guests and found all the Dreams resorts as options and all of them gave us a quote and discounted price since it’s off season etc. Resorts in Punta Canta gave us a reasonable price, Dominicus gave us a really good deal then La Romana Resort and Spa gave us their regular price and so hard to negotiate. Will someone tell us how special is this resort that they won’t give us a good discount when all my guests are staying in their resort for 5-8 days. We are bringing $$$ in their resort and not give us a discount?  What is so special with this resort?  Can somebody recommend a beautiful resort? 
    • Hello Everyone, Share your favorite wedding venues. And also give me a Solution. I choose Wedding Venues in mobile al the Anne-marie cottage.
    • Hello Jania! are you bringing any external vendor for your wedding?
    • Looking forward to seeing your cruise wedding photos!!!
  • Topics

×