Sign in to follow this  
JRW1

Turks & Caicos bride-to-be needs help with music for wedding

Hello all,

We are getting married in T/C and I am in the process of booking music. We would like a steel drum player for the ceremony and cocktail hour. Does anyone recommend a great steel player?

Also do you recommend a DJ ? Any feedback on Subtronic Sound DJ's?

We are very laid back, just looking for some simple nightlife and nice atmosphere.

Any insight.. both good or bad would be great!

Thank you!

There is really only one steel drum band on island which is Provo Primary School's Senior Steel Drum Band.  (my daughter plays in it).  We've never seen another band at any other events.  They will play weddings (and have been playing at some private parties on island this month), but it depends if it's during school breaks as many will be off island during those times.  You can contact the principal of the school (principal@provoprimary.com) if you want to find out if it's possible for your date and the costs.  I don't know what they charge, but it goes towards the maintenance of the drums which is really expensive so they try to fundraise for it.    Here they are playing Wipeout at the fools regatta this year

http://provoprimary.com/blog/school-news/provo-primary-steel-band-wipe-out-at-the-fools-regatta/

(they do know slower romantic numbers as well, we should have some new video up after this weekend when they perform at the Friends of the arts christmas concert)

A number of brides here have commented on DJ's here, you may want to do a search for DJ and Turks and Caicos or music and Turks and Caicos, I remember quite a few threads have been here on the subject and brides have given reports after their weddings.

Hope that helps

Krys

I was just married at Beaches Turks and Caicos on Dec 5th, 11.  We had a steel pan drummer for a one hour cocktail reception directly after the ceremony.  I organized this directly with the wedding coordinator at the resort.  I asked about having the drummer play for the ceremony but they said I could only have one or the other.  So, I ended up with Canon in D for walking down the isle and we had an IPOD playing Beyond the Sea for the way back down the isle.  It was perfect and the steel pan drummer was awesome!  It wasn't a band, it was just one guy and he was great!!!

I just want to clarify, the Beaches steel pan drummer is employed by Beaches and only available for Beaches weddings.  They have their own coordinators/photographers and entertainment at that resort.  There is no one I know of outside of Beaches that is a single steel pan player that would be available for events.  But I will continue to ask around to see if that has changed.

Krys

Originally Posted by smm2011 View Post

I was just married at Beaches Turks and Caicos on Dec 5th, 11.  We had a steel pan drummer for a one hour cocktail reception directly after the ceremony.  I organized this directly with the wedding coordinator at the resort.  I asked about having the drummer play for the ceremony but they said I could only have one or the other.  So, I ended up with Canon in D for walking down the isle and we had an IPOD playing Beyond the Sea for the way back down the isle.  It was perfect and the steel pan drummer was awesome!  It wasn't a band, it was just one guy and he was great!!!