Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TammyWright

Homemade soybean milk

Recommended Posts

I made homemade soybean milk today. it is a little time consuming but so good...it is really rich and yummy (if you like soy milk)

 

you need to soak the beans overnight and take off as many of the husks of the beans as you can (they usually float to the top of the water)...

 

then blens until really fine w/water, strains through cheescloth and boil/simmer for about 20 minutes...i added sugar and some vanilla to mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is soy milk good? I mean obviously you like it, but what I mean is, is it an acquired taste or is it not much different than cow milk. I usually drink skim milk.

 

I was thinking of trying it because its high in protein, but wasn't too sure. I think I may have had soy silk before? Didn't seem too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YUM, I love soy milk, I dont think I could ever make my own you truly are a little chef, I on the other hand am lucky if my peanut butter and jelly turns out right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly76 View Post
Is soy milk good? I mean obviously you like it, but what I mean is, is it an acquired taste or is it not much different than cow milk. I usually drink skim milk.

I was thinking of trying it because its high in protein, but wasn't too sure. I think I may have had soy silk before? Didn't seem too bad.
well, i grew up drinking it because my mom used to make it...and it is very common in vietnamese culture (like they drink it warm and cold)...so i have always liked it...but steve didnt grow up with it and it is all he drinks...he puts in on his cereal while i use whole milk in my cereal. i made this soymilk to try out my new blender and because steve likes it...it is sort or a creamy treat for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryjaxs19 View Post
YUM, I love soy milk, I dont think I could ever make my own you truly are a little chef, I on the other hand am lucky if my peanut butter and jelly turns out right.
it is fairly easy to make but just takes time. it is different than soymilk at the grocery store...a little richer and creamier...i might have to add more water to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think soy milk tastes similiar to cow's milk at all, but I can't stand the taste of cow milk. I only drink soy because I can't stomach the taste of "regular" milk.

 

I think it's delicious! You can also get premixed chocolate flavor. I've never tried making it myself though (plain soymilk I mean) but it sounds yummy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovesBrian View Post
I don't think soy milk tastes similiar to cow's milk at all, but I can't stand the taste of cow milk. I only drink soy because I can't stomach the taste of "regular" milk.

I think it's delicious! You can also get premixed chocolate flavor. I've never tried making it myself though (plain soymilk I mean) but it sounds yummy.
i dont like the taste of regular cow's milk and can only put it in my cereal...or in a latte...i could never drink a glass of milk growing up.

i love the taste of soymilk...

here's the recipe:

Quote:
Recipe:

2 cups of dried soybeans
4 glasses water (about 8-9 cups)
2 tablespoons to ¼ cup of honey(or sweetener of your choice)
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla
Big pot and cheesecloth (gangi gudda/cotton cloth)

Preparation is real simple and 3 steps.
(1) Soak and rub (2) Blend and extract (3) Boil and chill.

Soak and Rub:
Soak the beans overnight in lot of water. They expand considerably, so take a big vessel and add at least two to three glasses of water for them to soak. By Morning, they will double in size. Rub soybeans with hands to remove the outer covering. The flimsy outer covering will easily separate from the beans and will float to the top. With hand, scoop them and remove. Repeat like this, two or three times to remove the covering. I was able to remove the outer layer for at least 75 percent of Soya beans.

Extracted soymilk and the squeezed out soybean pulp

Blend and Extract:
Pour the beans into a colander to drain the water. Take the beans in a blender and in batches, grind them into smooth puree adding water.

Keep a big pot on the side. Cover it with a cheesecloth or gangi gudda/cotton cloth. Pour the pureed bean mixture into the cloth. Pull the cloth together and twist and allow dripping for few minutes. And then with your hands gently squeeze as much milk as possible. Take care not to squeeze the soya bean pulp.

Do this in batches. I kept the squeezed out soya bean pulp from each batch on a plate. Finally I blended this pulp again two times, adding water, to extract as much soymilk as possible.

Boil and Chill:
Pour the milk through a fine sieve into a big pot. You see white foam (the kind, that forms when you blend urad dal or moong dal) floating on the top of milk. Scoop it with a spoon or with your hand. I did this to clear the surface of milk.

Bring the milk to a boil. Add honey and vanilla. Reduce the heat to medium. Partially covered, simmer it for about 30 minutes, stirring in-between. Just like cows milk, layers of skin (meegada) were forming on top, I removed the skin (meegada) layers to a cup and later added this meegada to the ‘aloo chole†I was preparing for supper. The meegada skins tasted melting delicious.

Allow the milk to cool to room temperature. Pour into a clean bottle and keep the bottles in the refrigerator to chill. Serve and enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by host View Post
well, i grew up drinking it because my mom used to make it...and it is very common in vietnamese culture (like they drink it warm and cold)...so i have always liked it...but steve didnt grow up with it and it is all he drinks...he puts in on his cereal while i use whole milk in my cereal. i made this soymilk to try out my new blender and because steve likes it...it is sort or a creamy treat for him


it is fairly easy to make but just takes time. it is different than soymilk at the grocery store...a little richer and creamier...i might have to add more water to it.
It sounds really good!! I might have to try it! I'm not a huge milk person either, usually just for cereal or the with the occasional cookie, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question, Jen posted on here not to drink a lot of soy milk if you are pregnant. I forgot to ask my doc when I was there but has anyone else been told this? I hate hate hate milk and I always drink soy, but lately I have been skipping out on soy and just using skim on my cereal every once in awhile. any advicehuh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Z View Post
I have a question, Jen posted on here not to drink a lot of soy milk if you are pregnant. I forgot to ask my doc when I was there but has anyone else been told this? I hate hate hate milk and I always drink soy, but lately I have been skipping out on soy and just using skim on my cereal every once in awhile. any advicehuh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif
i wasnt told not to drink soy milk...i think everything is ok in moderation. i know you are supposed to drink whole milk for the extra vitamins but those with gestation diabetes it sometimes can cause their blood levels to go through the roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by host View Post
i wasnt told not to drink soy milk...i think everything is ok in moderation. i know you are supposed to drink whole milk for the extra vitamins but those with gestation diabetes it sometimes can cause their blood levels to go through the roof.

gosh I feel like I need to learn so much! So should I be drinking whole milk now or later in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • OMG these are incredible! Seriously blown away by the thoughtful detail you have put into every aspect of your gifts, your guests are going to be amazed! Props to you for adding so many personal touches and putting in so much time to make these gifts amazing!
    • These bags are amazing!! You are so organized and detailed, I am so impressed! I LOVE the Vistaprint stuff you ordered, the logo is so cute, I love your personalization!
    • I love etsy!! It's a great place to find personalized gifts without such a hefty price tag. I was thinking of getting my bridesmaids personalized necklaces with their names on them. I found these ones that are affordable and you can pick the chain length and different fonts, so you can really make them your own and pick what you know each bridesmaid will want. https://www.etsy.com/listing/595334072/personalized-name-necklace-stainless?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=personalized necklace&ref=sc_gallery-3-9&plkey=a8662525c53ec285c1b46b0f308162d0591edff8:595334072
    • Hi everyone, I am so happy that I am getting married to the love of my life. He proposed me and we are getting married within in a couple of months. And I have started preparations for my big day. I am super excited about a lot of things and also worried about many things.I have some inhibitions about my face and skin. Since I am a working woman, I have never got much time for personal care. This is the right time for it now. I need  proper medical grade skin care. Want to improve my skin tone and texture  I read some details about it here, https://www.mcleanclinic.com/nonsurgical-procedures/non-surgical/skin-care/, and found it really helpful. Can anyone of you suggest me some more tips? Like what I can do at home to have a glow on my face?  Thanks in advance.
    • I think you should approach the dentist. That would be the best idea as of now. 
  • Topics

×