@ Brenners.....I'm really torn now. I selected Cancun because the airfare is reasonable and there are direct flights from the Washington, DC area.
Critieria for my ultimate DW resort:
1. All inclusive or an option of both Eurpean and AI.
2. Resort is no more than a 30 min drive from the airport
3. There will be some kids in the wedding party so a resort with kid's activites or a kid's club.
4. A resort that either has an onsite nightclub/lounge or is located within a 10 min drive of nightlife. Most of my guest like to dance and have a good time drinking.
5. Trying to keep a total cost for guests for air/hotel between $800-1000 per person for a minimum 4 night stay.
I really like Ceiba, but it does not have kid's activities and I'm not sure if the city that is close by has any bars/places to dance.
Barcelo looks really nice, but that is like an hour from the airport.
I really wish that Dreams Cancun could conduct a renovation to update their rooms. I really like their wedding venue and scenery around the resort, the location (close to restaurants and clubs), it has a kid's club, and nightclub. It just does not look updated.
I'm not sure if we are going to be able to take a site visit to Cancun by the summer. I guess the good thing is that we are not looking to get married until Spring of 2012.