Photo

Faux Diamond decor for reception

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brookeh68

brookeh68
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

Hola! Has anyone taken on their fight the faux dasmonds that you decorate tables with? And if so, did you have any problems with customs?  Im afraid they will rip our bags apart thinking we are stashing real diamonds! ( ours are aqua blue though) - Id love to hear some feedback on what you think!  ( Our wedding is June 18, 2011)

[B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlu[QUOTE]

#2 MomentsThatMatter

MomentsThatMatter
    • Vendor
    • 2,015 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the forums! I think the best thing you could do is call your airline and tell them what you are carrying on. They would have the best advice for you. I don't see it being a problem... but I'm not the dreaded CUSTOMS SECURITY! 

Lincoln & Lori @ Moments that Matter Photography
      Playa Del Carmen Wedding Photographers - Mexico - Cancun - & Mayan Riviera
      Web: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/
      Blog: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/blog/
      http://i711.photobuc....Ad-Sept09b.gif

#3 Aumuller

Aumuller
      • 365 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

I really don't think it would be a problem. I would just keep them in their original packaging to be sure though. This idea really never crossed my mind.

#4 JanineA

JanineA
        • 2,482 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

I don't think it should be a problem. Are you carrying the items in your checked baggage or in your carry-on? The reason I asked is because the scanners for carry-ons are basically like x-ray machines. They scan the images on your bag and display a colored image based on the amount of light that penetrates the object. The amount of light penetrating any object depends on the density of the object. Because of the shape (outline) of the faux diamonds and the fact the light easily reflects through it they may wonder what they are and ask you to open it up just so they can look at it.

If you are checking your luggage, most airports use CT scanners for checked bags. The CT scanner is able to give a more accurate reading of what is in your bag since as it will produce and clear image based on the mass and density of your bags. Most scanning machines also have sniffers next to them which is a chemical machine which sniffs out the chemical compounds all any baggage entering the scanner. If any toxic or suspicious chemicals come back your bag will be pulled, you will be asked to open it and they will ask your permission to search your bag (usually with two TSA persons present). 

In general I don't think you will have a problem. How do I know this useless information....I used to be a flight attendant and in my off hours waiting to jump seat would ask fellow airport employees just the curious little questions that come into my head. LOL!

#5 lisa203

lisa203
          • 681 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hi Janine! I'm not carrying faux diamonds but this is really good to know considering the amount of other crap we plan on lugging down to JA, lol. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by JanineA 

I don't think it should be a problem. Are you carrying the items in your checked baggage or in your carry-on? The reason I asked is because the scanners for carry-ons are basically like x-ray machines. They scan the images on your bag and display a colored image based on the amount of light that penetrates the object. The amount of light penetrating any object depends on the density of the object. Because of the shape (outline) of the faux diamonds and the fact the light easily reflects through it they may wonder what they are and ask you to open it up just so they can look at it.

If you are checking your luggage, most airports use CT scanners for checked bags. The CT scanner is able to give a more accurate reading of what is in your bag since as it will produce and clear image based on the mass and density of your bags. Most scanning machines also have sniffers next to them which is a chemical machine which sniffs out the chemical compounds all any baggage entering the scanner. If any toxic or suspicious chemicals come back your bag will be pulled, you will be asked to open it and they will ask your permission to search your bag (usually with two TSA persons present). 

In general I don't think you will have a problem. How do I know this useless information....I used to be a flight attendant and in my off hours waiting to jump seat would ask fellow airport employees just the curious little questions that come into my head. LOL!

#6 Dmitri_Markine

Dmitri_Markine
            • Vendor
            • 2,782 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

Keep the packaging or you may get hassled.They will figure it out,but it may take extra time.

#7 sinesbride

sinesbride
              • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Never would have even though of this..lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users