Question re: Legal Wedding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 c+j

c+j
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi All,

I was just married in Cancun on 7/23/10, I'm back now and have no clue what to do with this Mexican marriage certificate!! Any help? I'm from Chicago, IL if that helps...Thanks!

#2 Smidge

Smidge
    • 55 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

I think the Mexican marriage certificate has to be processed through the US Embassy from the office where it was issued, and then recorded at home.  I don't think a successful name change at home means that this step has been completed.  I would go to your local clerk's office and ask them how to do it. 

#3 jrb

jrb
      • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

I am interested in hearing what you have to do. I am frm Chicago too and having a civil ceremony in Mexico! Please keep me posted.

#4 c+j

c+j
        • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

Ok I will, I am going to the DMV today to try and get a corrected DL.

#5 Smidge

Smidge
          • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

I would still check with the clerk's office to make sure your marriage is properly recorded in the US.  I know of one couple who were married in the Caribbean, and after several years of marriage, one wanted a divorce.  Through the process, they found that their marriage was not recognized in the US as their foreign license had not been properly recorded.  Although the wife was using her married name, the party wanting out simply walked away.  I know that divorce is the last thing on your mind, but there are other reasons to follow through on this. 

#6 c+j

c+j
            • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

Back from the DMV, and my name is changed on my DL and State ID.  I used my Birth Cert., my current DL, and my Marriage Cert. from Mexico (in spanish) with no problems.  I had to pay $15 for the new DL and ID, also had to get a new pic because my DL # changed so be ready for that.  Next stop is the Social Security Office on Monday...I'll let you know how that goes.

#7 Tissey

Tissey
              • 172 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm having a legal ceremony in Mexico in September.  I though you had to have your Mexican marriage certificate translated and then I heard something about registering it in your county?  I'm confused.  Let me know how your visit at the SS office went.  If they have no probs with it then I don't think anyone else would.

#8 tweets.13

tweets.13
                • Site Supporter
                • 103 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

I am looking into the legalities of it, but I can only assume you have to file the Mexican marriage certificate/license with either a local or state agency/clerk's office.  Mexican marriages may be recognized, but it depends on the laws of the state where you live. You should contact your State Attorney General's Office.  I would think you definitely have to file the papers here for legal reasons, but I am not sure.  It does not seem like a simple name change through the DMV and/or social security would be enough, and you definitely want to protect your rights as a married couple.

#9 c+j

c+j
                  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

I did go to the SS office and it was a breeze, I got a number filled out the form for a new card and presented my Mexican Wedding Cert., I got my nes SS card in the mail 1 week later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users