I hope no-one is effected by this, but thought i'd give an update. I just recieved this:

Tropical storm moving towards US-Mexican border

Tropical Storm Alex is growing stronger as it moves towards the US-Mexican border. Landfall is projected for early on 1st July. Flash flooding and mudslides are possible.

The locations affected by this alert are:

Monterrey

Texas - Brownsville

Texas - Corpus Christi

Texas - Harlingen

Texas - McAllen

Gulf of Mexico.

Tropical Storm Alex Details (0400 CDT 29th June):

Location: Approximately 650 km (405 miles) south east of La Pesca, Mexico

Intensity: Maximum sustained winds of 110 kph (70 mph) with higher gusts

Affected Areas: Northeast Mexico, southeast Texas

Summary

Tropical Storm Alex continues to strengthen as it moves north west across the Gulf of Mexico. Meteorologists predict the storm will reach Category 1 hurricane strength before making landfall near the Texas-Mexico border early on 1st July.

The storm will bring heavy rainfall to the region. Accumulations of 13-25 cm (5-10 inches) of rain are forecast. Flash floods and mudslides are possible. A strong storm surge with waves up to 0.9-1.5 metres (3-5 feet) above normal levels is projected along coastal areas near and to the north of where Alex makes landfall. Expect localised transportation, business, telecommunications, and utility disruptions.

Mexico has closed the Cayo Arcas and Dos Bocas ports in response to the storm. The two ports handle most of Mexico's oil exports through the Gulf of Mexico; disruptions to oil shipments are likely, especially if either port sustains damage. Several oil platforms have been closed and personnel in the storm path evacuated.

Watches and Warnings

Hurricane Warning: Coast of Texas from Baffin Bay to the Rio Grande; coast of Mexico from the Rio Grande south to La Cruz

Tropical Storm Warning: Coast of Texas from Baffin Bay to Port O'Connor

Advice

Review emergency preparedness plans and take proper precautions. Stock up on bottled water and other emergency supplies. Verify the operational status of all roads and businesses prior to travel. Heed the advice of local authorities.

bit of an update. hope everyone's ok xx

Flights to and from Brownsville-South Padre Island International Airport in southern Texas have been disrupted because of Hurricane Alex. Several Continental and American Eagle flights were cancelled and some outbound flights were also affected by the approaching storm.

Tropical Storm Alex Details:

Location: Approximately 175 km (110 miles) east-northeast of La Pesca, Mexico

Intensity: Category 1 - maximum sustained winds of 135 kph (85 mph) with higher gusts

Affected Areas: Northeastern Mexico, southeastern Texas

Summary

Hurricane Alex has strengthened only slightly as it continues to move toward the Mexican coast. Meteorologists predict the storm could intensify to Category 2 just before its centre of circulation makes landfall near San Fernando, Tamaulipas State, Mexico. US President Barack Obama has declared a state of emergency in Texas in anticipation of damaging winds and rain from Alex. Isolated tornadoes and severe thunderstorms accompanying the hurricane are likely across the entire landfall area.

Alex is a particularly large and slow-moving storm. The slower the storm moves, the more rain will fall on a given area, increasing the likelihood of localised flooding. Rainfall accumulations of 15-30 cm (6-12 inches) are probable, with isolated areas receiving up to 51 cm (20 inches). Flash flooding and mudslides are likely, particularly in mountainous areas. Meteorologists predict Alex will generate a strong storm surge, with waves of 1-1.5 metres (3-5 feet) above normal levels, along coastal areas near and to the north of where Alex makes landfall. Expect localised transportation, business, telecommunications, and utility disruptions.

Watches and Warnings

Hurricane Warning: Coast of Texas from Baffin Bay to the Rio Grande; coast of Mexico from the Rio Grande south to La Cruz

Tropical Storm Warning: Coast of Texas from Baffin Bay to Port O'Connor; coast of Mexico from south of La Cruz to Cabo Rojo

Advice

Review emergency preparedness plans and take proper precautions. Stock up on bottled water and other emergency supplies. Expect power and telecommunications outages. Verify the operational status of all roads and businesses prior to travel. Heed the advice of local authorities.

Resource

National Hurricane Center: National Hurricane Center