Photo

Trying to find a Rabbi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Willow188

Willow188
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Hi all! I'm trying to find a rabbi for a wedding on St. Thomas or St. John. (Haven't decided on which yet.) The rabbi at the synagogue on St. Thomas charges $2000, and I think that's outrageous! Can anyone recommend an alternative?

#2 Sara Michelle

Sara Michelle
    • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi Willow,
      Talk to Stuart Scott of USVI Services. He said that he knows a Rabbi that would do a beach wedding. stuart@usviservices.com or call 340-514-4466. I hope that helps.
      Sara

#3 MDLady

MDLady
      • 433 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Finding a rabbi in the Caribbean can be tricky. We considered the USVI and I was in touch with Cantor Diane Becker Krasnick for our wedding. She was very sweet and responsive but we ended up choosing Aruba so obviously I do not know how her services are.

The only thing was that she spends 1/2 year in the islands and another 1/2 year in the US but you can check with her for your date.

www.StThomasJewishWeddings.com - Home

#4 Willow188

Willow188
        • 32 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thanks so much! I e-mailed your contact, Sarah Michelle, and I'll let you know what he says.

I actually spoke with Diane, MDLady, and she was so nice! If we can't find a rabbi, we're definitely going with her. Thanks!

#5 ridley

ridley
          • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Just curious, Willow188, did you find a rabbi or are you using Diane? I am having my ceremony at the St. Thomas Synagogue with the rabbi there. Then the reception at Villa Botanica.

#6 Willow188

Willow188
            • 32 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

We did end up going with Diane, since we just couldn't swing the $2000, and I found out the you're required to get married in the synagogue. It's gorgous, but I was really set on an outdoor wedding. We're doing our ceremony at the terrace at the Wyndham and having our reception at Herve. How are you getting your guests from one thing the the other? I'm thinking those shady taxis are the only way to go, but I'm still looking for alternatives.

#7 ridley

ridley
              • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

I am getting married in the synagogue but you don't have to. Atleast if you do, your money goes further. They include the chuppah and you don't have to pay for chairs etc. I did speak to Diane a lot. She is wonderful. We are still going to have her take part in the ceremony. The Wyndham terrace is beautiful. My WC is handlilng the transportation, but they do have closed vans with AC, not just the open air ones. I heard Herve is beautiful with great food.

#8 jaccat15

jaccat15
                • 196 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hi there! have you considered bringing someone in from the US? we ended up doing that and it worked out amazing. Let me know if you want our Rabbi's info - she is located in NY but is open to meeting couples in other states via ichat or skype online :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users