Photo

Catering and Rental Costs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 riokayak

riokayak
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

I leave Saturday and we're getting married a week from tomorrow. I think it's finally hitting me. I'm becoming very impatient with the "final" pricing we received from out coordinator in regards to the rentals and catering. We are getting married at a private house and having the meal catered by a restaurant in town. The coordinator pushed us to use a specific restaurant, so I feel like I don't have anything to base the pricing on. I feel like we've had to negotiate every little thing and frankly I'm tired. $15 per staff members, plus 11% tax and 15% service seems high for Mexico.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experience using a caterer for a private home with rentals. What did your price per head end up being? I really don't want to run around once we get there looking for a different option, but I also don't like feeling like we're getting taken advantage of. Thanks for letting me vent.

#2 One Love Brownie

One Love Brownie
    • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Wow, Im having similar issues except that Im planning my wedding in Jamaica.
      I have avoided a wedding planner & so have been trying to source a reception location caterers etc myself.

To my annoyance I get the impression that because Im having a destination wedding Im made of money.

For example the caterers I've had a quote from has included 'transportation costs of $30 for catering staff, and Im having the reception in an accesible place a stonesthrow away from where they are located.

Also they have quoted for trestle tables & serving utensils which they should already have to provide the service or be classed as caterers.

The cheek of it!

Luckily I have a plan B in the pipeline!

#3 Destination Scout

Destination Scout
      • 600 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

I like to use caterers for my events. The staff is often excited to make the night special and work extra hard. I usually end up paying $15/hour/staff + 10% tax but I often negotiate that it includes tip. It may seem high, but I feel good about paying that amount. Often times these staff members have real jobs, and they are taking the night off to work this one event, which is a hassle and could put their current job in jeopardy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users