internet not connecting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boscobel

boscobel
  • VIP Member
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

So I'm stealing my neighbor for now while trying to figure out what the eff is going on.

When I'm connected thru my wireless modem (which we've been successfully using for a looooong time no!), I can't connect to the internet and when I go into the Network and Sharing Center, it shows a picture like this:
    Carly's computer --> Carly's modem --> X internet

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, I've googled to see if anything would work, but nada so far. Matt called Verizon last night but of course it was a recording saying to call back during business hours. Neither of us had a chance (or remembered) to do it today, so here I can again, stealing my neighbors....

Any suggestions?

#2 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
    • 583 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

You're using Vista I assume, because you called it Network and Sharing Center, not Network and Internet Connections. If that's the case, try going to start and in the search bar at the bottom type "cmd" (without the quotes) and when command prompt comes up right click on it and hit "run as administrator" Then in command prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" (again, no quotes, space between ipconfig and /). Make sure you do this when you're DISCONNECTED from your neighbour's wireless. If that doesn't work, then try plugging directly into your modem and type in the ip address of your modem (usually looks something like 192.168.0.1) and see if any of the settings have changed. It's definitely your modem because your computer can connect elsewhere. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll suggest something else to try :)

I had to deal with my ISP three days in a row before they finally sent me a new modem because mine was broken. And their suggestion to me? Find a network savvy friend to re-install my network card drivers... I'M A FREAKING NETWORK ENGINEER! lol So before you try your ISP, I may have some things that can help solve it

#3 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:51 AM

what used to work for me was just turing everything off, then back on again.

so turn your laptop/computer off
        turn your wireless router off
        wait 10-15 sec.
        turn the router back on - wait for it to get a signal, etc.
        then computer back on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users