Jump to content

Photo

Charmeuse fabric for a Bridesmaid dress?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SDbeachgirl

SDbeachgirl
  • Jr. Member
  • 393 posts

    Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

    Hi,

    Has anyone chosen Charmeuse fabric for your bridesmaid dresses? I was thinking of doing chiffon but my bridesmaids really like the Charmeuse. I like the look of this too but I have 2 concerns:

    1. Is it too fancy if I want my groomsmen to wear ivory button down shirts with brown linen pants? The dress will be some type of turquoise color.

    2. Will the fabric cling to the body or balloon up in the wind?

    Any thoughts that you would have would be greatly appreciated! I'm anxious to make my decision :)


    I'm not sure how to make the image work, so here is the link to Jordan 644 and 672.

    http://www.jordanfas....&photoid=25483

    #2 Destination Scout

    Destination Scout
    • Member
    • 600 posts

      Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

      My wedding dress was made out of Charmeusse. I absolutely love it. I still had to have a liner though (maybe because my dress was white) but that made it not clingy.

      #3 girlkin

      girlkin
      • Newbie
      • 120 posts

        Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

        I love that material. I don't think its too dressy. Those dresses are cute. I'm not a huge fan of chiffon--although its beautiful--just not on me. I also think that the charmeuse photographs well too because it preserves the color better. If you want something that sways in the wind; this is a good alternative.

        #4 nicole2010

        nicole2010
        • Newbie
        • 37 posts

          Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:10 PM

          I love that material, and I think that the dresses are really cute. My BM dresses are also the same material. The only thing that I would suggest is make sure that there is a liner underneath the dress.

          #5 SDbeachgirl

          SDbeachgirl
          • Jr. Member
          • 393 posts

            Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by nicole2010
            I love that material, and I think that the dresses are really cute. My BM dresses are also the same material. The only thing that I would suggest is make sure that there is a liner underneath the dress.
            The dress does have a liner. What material is your gown? One person told me that the bridesmaids shouldn't wear satin unless the gown is satin. Mine is taffeta. Has anyone heard of that?

            #6 nicole2010

            nicole2010
            • Newbie
            • 37 posts

              Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:04 AM

              I don't think that there are any rules. I think that if the materials are similar they might flow better, but I think that anything goes.
              I lucked out and my dress is a light satin as well.

              #7 SDbeachgirl

              SDbeachgirl
              • Jr. Member
              • 393 posts

                Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by nicole2010
                I don't think that there are any rules. I think that if the materials are similar they might flow better, but I think that anything goes.
                I lucked out and my dress is a light satin as well.
                Thanks. I think I will post that question on a separate thread. I know that there are not really any "rules" on this. But I would like to see everyone's opinions. I do want it to throw and look good together.

                #8 estella1007

                estella1007
                • Jr. Member
                • 475 posts

                  Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

                  Charmeuse is gorgeous, but it usually is cut on the bias which makes the dresses very clingy. It will show every lump and bump. It will be great if your girls are thinner and in good shape, but if you have any larger girls I would make sure they get to try it on first.

                  #9 SDbeachgirl

                  SDbeachgirl
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 393 posts

                    Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by estella1007
                    Charmeuse is gorgeous, but it usually is cut on the bias which makes the dresses very clingy. It will show every lump and bump. It will be great if your girls are thinner and in good shape, but if you have any larger girls I would make sure they get to try it on first.
                    Is this true even if there is a liner? The dress comes with a liner attached.

                    #10 estella1007

                    estella1007
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 475 posts

                      Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

                      Here's some info about the fabric...
                      Charmeuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      I would be careful. Like I said, it's beautiful, but it's hard to pull off unless you have the body for it. It doesn't have any structure and it is very lightweight. It falls against the body and hugs your curves. Stiffer fabrics like taffeta and satin can hold shape and are much more forgiving.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users