Cancun Mexico – Guest Event Suggestions Needed

Part One:

Is it proper etiquette and or required for the bride and groom to host an event other then the wedding when doing a destination wedding?

An example I read about was a day trip to one of the Mexican Ruins or renting a cameraman for a few hours.

Part Two:

If yes, who is required to pay?

I have heard you are not required to pay for anyone just inform your guest of your plans and let them attend if they are interested. I have also heard you must pay for your entire guest list that wishes to attend. Lastly, I have read about an option were you pay for your wedding party and family then offer all other guest the option to attend and to RSVP by sending a check for their entrance with their reply card in the invitation (is this tacky?).

Part Three:

Suggestions Please!

We are having our wedding on a Saturday evening in Cancun. Does anyone have any suggestions of an event for us to host? We are staying at an all inclusive resort so I do not want to do a meal for most of our guests have already paid to eat there. I am hoping to find some kind of activity.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking to do a catamaran trip as our "Ladies" event the day b/f the welcome dinner. Another option, which would require some energy would be a visit to Chichen-Itza. The only problem is that it is 3 hours away. But you are so close to one of the wonders of the world! Could be fun, but again, it is an all-day affair.

Chichen-Itza is another great idea; I need to look into that! I have spent some time looking at Catamaran trips and it turns out that I could have the boat pick us up right off the Cancun Dreams Resort Dock. The price is a bit higher per person then I thought it would be, it seems like most of the Catamaran trips run around $50 dollars a person.

Gr8ful – what are you thinking of doing for the “Boys” trip?

Here you have some of the million of ideas for your pre- wedding events!

At the Hotel

• Spa Day for girls
  • Salsa Lessons for couples
  • Cooking Lessons for Girls (can be Mexican food or favors to be set up on the Wedding Day)
  • Tea Time for Girls
  • Mexican Party (Mexican Fair)
  • Mayan Village Theme Party or Mayan blessing for the group
  • Beach Party
  • Beach BBQ

Outside the Hotel:

• Catamaran/ Sunset Cruise
  • Fishing trip for Men
  • Golf Day for Men
  • Snorkeling Tour
  • Charity Event/ Helping a local community in need or eco friendly activity
  • Mayan Ruins (Chichen itza, Tulum)
  • Traditional Event at an Hacienda
  • Night Club/ Show

Many of these ideas can be used as Bridal Showers, Bachelor/ette Parties, Welcome Events, Greet & Meet Events, Rehearsal Events or just to share unforgettable moments with your friends and family!

Please, let me know if you need more information in any item.

Good Luck and best wishes!

Catamarans are kind of expensive, so I'm not sure if we will do it or not. FMIL is kind of crazy about it, so we'll see what happens. I am open to everything -- if all I have to do is show up, then I'm all for it! She & my mom are going to pay for it, so I don't want them to go broke on this event. We have been quoted $90 pp! So $50 pp sounds like a good deal! If this doesn't work out, we will do lunch and maybe hire a salsa dancer. This is what we were going to do until catamarans entered into FMIL's brain, and now that is all she can talk about!

TheOneDay: The guy's trip is being organized by the Best Man (hooray!). I think they are going fishing and snorkeling, and I am fairly sure that frosty adult beverages will be served. I'm not even worrying about it. As long as they show up to the wedding (not even the welcome dinner!), I'll be happy. haha

When my FMIL heard that the boys were having a party, she felt left out so she wanted to plan a "Ladies Lunch". She keeps adding on events, which is a bit maddening, but at least our guests will have something to do! Plus, I'm glad SOMEONE is excited about my wedding! I would have been fine just having my own private spa day, but I need to take advantage of seeing friends and family that have made the trek down. Plus, on a personal level I need to get out of my introverted shell.

Also, since we are getting married in Tulum, the day of our Welcome Dinner, during the day, we are meeting people at the ruins, getting some guides and going in for a tour. That's an easy option for us b/c we are just down the road, and if people show up, great, if not, then we'll go by ourselves. I'm pretty sure that people will show up, however.

So it goes:

Thursday -- Gender-specific events

Friday -- am Tulum ruins / pm Welcome Dinner

Saturday -- pm Wedding / Reception

Sunday -- sleep, sleep and more sleep hahaha

Sorry so long, but I can't stop thinking about all of this...

Gr8ful - Your wedding agenda sounds perfect. I especially like Sunday :) I think using the Tulum ruins (we got engaged at those ruins so I might be partial) is a perfect event becuase it is something that can only be done in a select few places in the world. I am very impressed that your wedding party is taking part in the planning (do you want to send them my way when your done). You’re getting married in two weeks you must be very excited!! Congratulations and let us know how everything goes.

Thank you TheOneDay -- I can't believe it is coming up so quickly! I am really excited. I did our budget yesterday, and it actually looks pretty good, so I'm proud of that. But we'll have to see how the actual event goes!

That is so great you were engaged at the Tulum Ruins! How romantic! I love it there, and I'm so glad that we are getting married in such a magical place (on the beach, too bad we can't do it at the ruins themselves).

Are you sure you want my wedding party? They have been great, but trust me, I have had my share of headache and tears...