Boston Bride 2009

Getting items through customs in Punta Cana

I was reading yesterday on a different thread about the rules for getting items through customs however most of the brides were going to Mexico. I searched the threads and couldn't find anything specific to DR. What has been your experience in getting through customs with everything for your wedding? Did you need reciepts?

I also googled this and couldn't come up with anything other than you are allowed 1 bottle of liquor 200 cigarettes and a gift with value of less than $100.

Thanks for your help!

I went to Punta Cana for a wedding a few months ago and honestly is was very easy getting through customs. I just paid $10.00 gave them a small form and that was it, no red/green light nothing. In fact I don't even remember seeing anyone doing random bag checks.

Thank you! What I did read on line is that they are very lax. When I went in October to see Excellence I honestly don't remember doing anything. I just want to be sure before I decide to haul everything there. We do have the option of sending items to his family in Santo Domingo. Just debating on what is best.

I actually posed this question yesterday on here (about sending things before) and it seems to be very discouraged, since things can get stuck in transit. I will be taking a bunch of stuff with me, so I really want to know as well!

We had NO problems taking stuff with us to Punta Cana. My husband & I had a bag of stuff, and his parents had 2 suitcases of 'stuff', and no-one had an issue. As long as you're taking everything back home with you, I wouldn't worry about it as it's not considered "gifts being left in the country."

I read to the end and didn't see it...must have missed it. Either way I just called UPS to find out in detail what it entails. Their regular priced shipping option gets to Santo Domingo in 6 days. There are some limitations on what you can ship and what will get through customs....HOWEVER it costs $248 to ship a box of towels from boston to DR which is double what I paid for the towels....needless to say we are brining everything with us on the plane!

Must have been a different thread then Boston :) And yes, shipping is EXPENSIVE!! $64 just to Purolate one of those cardboard Purolator envelopes.

Here it is again

Dominican:

I brought an extra large suitcase and had it filled with clothes and gifts for my fiance's family. There was about 30 dollar store items, and about 40 shirts/shorts with tags still on them.

My fiance hired a man to help me carrying the 2 stuffed suitcases, and the man brought me through to the guys to search the suitcases. I noticed that all the other people on the flight didn't hire a man to carry the bags, and they just walked right around the corner to the kiosks.

When you fly into Punta Cana, after retrieving your suitcases, you are not "forced" to even go NEAR a guard who searches.

This guy just flipped through the clothes, never inspected anything in great detail and never asked for my receipts. Never opened my makeup bag, or any other bags that I had in there.

Like other posters in this thread said, PC is very lax with searches. Jan '08 when I went, I didn't even know they were there also, and Nov '08 when I went, no one else was getting searched. My guess is that it is dependent on if a guy helps you.

Hope this helps a little. But I'm not worried. I'm just not going to let anyone help me. The guys in my family can carry my extra suitcases that are not on wheels, and I'm sure I'll be fine (fingers crossed).

That makes the most sense! Any Canadian brides know the cost for extra weight/baggage on their planes? We are most likely booking with ir Canada Vacations since we have transfers to make from Halifax to Toronto and then Toronto to Punta Cana!