Photo

Mariachi Band - Riveria Maya

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 marny61

marny61
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

We are having my daughters wedding at a private villa and am hoping for some recommendations for a great mariachi band? We were thinking about having them play during the cocktail hour - what are your thoughts?

#2 Simistar

Simistar
    • 645 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

I didn't end up using this company, but they were very nice and responded quickly to e-mails (plus, I think I've read good things from brides on here...)

They're essentially wedding planners, but you can pay to have them JUST set up a mariachi band for you...

Weddings in Playa del Carmen - Destination Wedding Planner, Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya - ajuaweddings.com

Good luck!

#3 Destination Scout

Destination Scout
      • 600 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

Where is the villa? I would want a band that was close by so that you don't have to pay a large transportation fee.

#4 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

i really wish i had a mariachi band to play immediately after the ceremony. it's my only wedding regret.

what about contacting some local restaurants & seeing if they can get you in contact with some musicians?

#5 Simistar

Simistar
          • 645 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

BTW, if you're open to having a band that's NOT a mariachi band, we had a GREAT one play for us during our ceremony and our cocktail reception.

Sol Tamargo (of Del Sol photography) used them for her wedding too!
            I'm not sure if they have a name, but it's a husband and wife plus I think two more members... The wife is named Jill Kirkland and she I think is American (so speaks English) and is easy to communicate with. I spoke to her once on cell but mostly communicated via e-mail.
            They can play pretty much anything, but they're NOT acoustic (i.e. they have amps etc to plug in).
            Honestly -- they were the HIT of our cocktail hour!:-)

I think we paid $500 for two sets (45 mins each) plus a travel fee. (maybe $50?)

She can be reached at:
            mexijill@hotmail.com

If you DO want to contact her and have trouble reaching her through that e-mail, let me know...I'll dig up her cell number for you! :-)

Whoo-hoo! Just found it:
            home: (984) 803-0308
            cell is (984) 119-3622

#6 Simistar

Simistar
            • 645 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Simistar
              I didn't end up using this company, but they were very nice and responded quickly to e-mails (plus, I think I've read good things from brides on here...)

They're essentially wedding planners, but you can pay to have them JUST set up a mariachi band for you...

Weddings in Playa del Carmen - Destination Wedding Planner, Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya - ajuaweddings.com

Good luck!
              Found one of the reviews on here of Ajua weddings!

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t43510

(can you tell it's slow for me at work today? lol:-))

#7 marny61

marny61
              • 165 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

Thanks so much for all these idea's we will start making some contacts! The villa is Villa Sol y Luna (check out their website, they have some beautiful wedding pictures). The villa is located in playa del secreto.

#8 MarieSam

MarieSam
                • VIP Member
                • 2,336 posts
                  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:54 AM

We have friends who live in Playa who actually got us a mariachi band for our welcome dinner/fiesta, which was held at the villa we were staying at in Akumal.

They were an awesome, all-female band!!! I have no clue how much they were as our friends paid for it as a gift, but I can certainly find out if you're interested. Everyone raved about how good they were and we ended up keeping them for about 2 hours because they were so so good and kept our entire group of 65+ dancing

#9 marny61

marny61
                  • 165 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

MarieSam if you could get me the contact information for the all female band that would be great. Your wedding pics are beautiful.

#10 Emily Joy

Emily Joy
                    • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Marie if you could please let me know the name of the all female mariachi band as well! I would really appreciate it. : )

Sounds fun!!!
                      visit my bridal blog!
                      http://www.maidensunshine.blogspot.com

http://photos-a.ak.f...._5726020_n.jpg
                      Getting hitched in Playa Del CarmenSaturday November 27th, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users