• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

okay, since Christine has dubbed me the New (future) DIY queen, I have the ultimate challange. Call me crazy but, I have invisioned making my own backdrop screen for a slide show on the beach. My bro said he may get a projector and I have the software to make a "movie" on my computer. I have invisioned using two bamboo poles and white fabric as a sceen. Could you imagine Yes I live in lala land but the wedding is a year away and this will be my ultimate project.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?.... instructions

#2 Christine

Christine
    • VIP Member
    • 21,514 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
    • LocationReno, NV

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

amy I think you could totally do that, but the fabric would have to be thick...also how would you ensure the bamboo sticks stay up? You might need to put them in a bucket of rocks.
    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#3 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 3,754 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

We can dig holes in the sand and fill it with rocks. I'm not sure which fabric to use either. I don't think it would have to be perfect, I imagine it would be nice for the fabric to flow in the wind.

#4 Christine

Christine
      • VIP Member
      • 21,514 posts
      • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
      • Wedding Location:Napa, California
      • LocationReno, NV

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

I would be afraid the light from the projector would go right through it. I know my screen in the classroom is solid, oh I know-
      do a white sheet in front and then a dark brown piece of fabric to back it up (you are using brown right) does that make sense?
      Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#5 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 3,754 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

I see, hmmm. I have to think about it some more. I made a slide show for my bro for his 10yr anniv of his passing, and we used the siding from the white plastic tent as a back drop and that worked great. I'll have to see what i can find.

#6 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
        • 4,979 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

Amy, I was thinking of doing the same thing a while back. I've heard it's really windy in cabo, so I'm not sure how that'd affect it - or how difficult that'd make it so it stayed up!!
          Happily Married since May 9, 2008
          Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#7 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
          • VIP Member
          • 931 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

Hi Amy,

we did our slideshow on the beach. We created it using Microsoft Photostroy (Highly rec this program!). My stepdad owned a projector that we used and my SIL/BIL lent us their speakers.

We rented a screen for $200. It was really windy and someone had to stand behind the screen during the slideshow to make sure that it would not blow over. I have no idea if wind will be a factor in PV but it was for us.

I am sure that this is entirely do-able but you may want to consider the amount of work/time it will take to put it together and bring it vs. your time there. I guarantee you that once you get there for your wedding, the last thing that you're going to want to do is spend a bunch of time finishing DIY stuff.

just some food for thought. The slideshow was a ton of fun though :) I am so glad that we did it!

#8 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 3,754 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

thanks tasha! Its really just a thought. If it does happen, I have a really handy father, 10 GM and 1 FI who would have the honors to build it! :)

#9 anaderoux

anaderoux
              • 3,220 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

Amy that would be an incredibly great proyect.. the coordinator in my hotel was charging me 800 dlls for the audiovisual equipment.. she's crazy..

#10 lambert13

lambert13
                • 901 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

One piece of advice for the fabric is to cut ventilation holes in it. Cut a bunch of small half circle slits in the fabric so that the wind will not put as much force on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users