Sign in to follow this  
Ben

New, looking for cheaper Cancun wedding (but still nice!)

Hi & welcome to the forum. Good luck with your planning. I've looked in that region but most of the places are pretty pricey and I suspect you will have checked them out already. (Tides and Riviera Mayakoba) I have the wedding info if you haven't already got it. (we considered it but now think we'll honeymoon there instead).

Hi Ben,

I hope all is going well. I definitely understand your situation. I've been to all sorts of countries and resorts and have found the Mayan Riviera to be the best and most consistent of them all so when we decided to have our DW there.

We wanted a resort that was nice, cost efficient, had a nice ceremony and reception location and in our case, kid friendly, as some of our goods friends have little ones.

This helped narrow down our choices. Grand Palladium fit all these requirements but my FBIL got married there last year and we didn't want to repeat. It was a great choice though. Everyone had a great time and it was beautiful. It was more cost efficient than the Palace resorts.

My fiancee and I have decided on Iberostar Paraiso in MR for our DW. It fit our budget and has some gorgeous locations for ceremony. Plus, a lot of guests coming are golfers and they have a golf course on site:)

The best bang for your buck in our last year of research is Grand Palladium, Iberostar, Bahia Principe, and Barcelo. Though there are lot more, these all ha the needs we wanted

I guess it depends on your needs. Our family and friends all have different financial situations so we had to find a 4-5 star that all could afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteam View Post
Hi & welcome to the forum. Good luck with your planning. I've looked in that region but most of the places are pretty pricey and I suspect you will have checked them out already. (Tides and Riviera Mayakoba) I have the wedding info if you haven't already got it. (we considered it but now think we'll honeymoon there instead).
WOW!!! I had definitely not even looked at those...that's just way out of my price range...although prices aren't out yet for Jan 2010 I've been browsing trip advisor just to get ideas and never even stopped on those 2... 1100+ a night, no thanks haha. I think all my guests would boycott. Not even sure I'D show up :)

We are actually down to a couple, Riu Palace Mexico, another Riu (name escapes me - its a palace tho in Playa Del Carmen), Dreams, Moon Palace (my personal choice) and I've also been looking at some Iberostar's too... All of them have pro's and cons, from what I've seen the Palace resorts have by far the best weddings for the buck... 2150 and you get a horse drawn carriage for the bride's entrance, mariachi band, etc. Riu want 900 JUST for the mariachi band for 45 minutes...ridiculous! Anyways, they all have pros and cons, but our main consideration will be our guests unfortunately, including my parents who definitely don't have a lot of money. Like I said though its too early...palace told me they'd have their prices out in a week, so if its reasonable we'll probably go to MP.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
Hi Ben,
I hope all is going well. I definitely understand your situation. I've been to all sorts of countries and resorts and have found the Mayan Riviera to be the best and most consistent of them all so when we decided to have our DW there.
We wanted a resort that was nice, cost efficient, had a nice ceremony and reception location and in our case, kid friendly, as some of our goods friends have little ones.
This helped narrow down our choices. Grand Palladium fit all these requirements but my FBIL got married there last year and we didn't want to repeat. It was a great choice though. Everyone had a great time and it was beautiful. It was more cost efficient than the Palace resorts.
My fiancee and I have decided on Iberostar Paraiso in MR for our DW. It fit our budget and has some gorgeous locations for ceremony. Plus, a lot of guests coming are golfers and they have a golf course on site:)
The best bang for your buck in our last year of research is Grand Palladium, Iberostar, Bahia Principe, and Barcelo. Though there are lot more, these all ha the needs we wanted
I guess it depends on your needs. Our family and friends all have different financial situations so we had to find a 4-5 star that all could afford.

Hmmm, thanks, definitely interested in checking those ones out, I had not. Which GP are u talking about though, there are at least 3 - Riviera, Colonia and Kantenah from what I found. I'm assuming you mean Riviera? Looks the nicest from the one pic on tripadvisor anyways :)

Congrats Ben and welcome to the forum! You're fiance is a luck lady to have you here on the forum and helping with the plans! You'll find lots of great ideas, sources and vendors on here happy to help with any questions.

Best of luck with the plans. Mexico will make for a beautiful backdrop for your wedding.

Hi Ben,

I just got married at the GP 11 days ago. All the GP hotels are part of one larger resort, so your guests have flexibility in where they stay and the price point, but have access to all or almost all of all facilities. We booked in Colonial, but ended up staying in Kantenah (no difference in price), got married on the Kantenah beach and did the reception dinner in White Sands. They only area that is "off limits" unless you are staying there is the Royal Suites in the Riviera section. If you want any further info, let me know.

Good luck with your decision making.

Jennifer