Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Samantha S

Advice: PhD plus a baby?

Recommended Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
I will let you know my FFIL is very well known microbiology research professor. He has a PhD in microbiology and has several students working on their PhD. He's had a couple girls who were pregnant while going to school and he said its really in the nature of the girl on how she'll do. Its up to you and you only on how determined you want to be. I'm working on my doctorate of pharmacy and this was the speach he gave me last fall when I first got pregnant. I really believe him... of course its harder than doing school w/out being pregnant but can be done. One thing to really consider though is what if you have a really rough pregnancy? I had great professors (mostly because of my FFIL) but i ended up on bed rest for 3 weeks and has my FFIL bring me my school work and then after bedrest had to go in on the weekends to catch up on lab work.
who is he? I do microbilogy research. you can PM me if you don't want to put the name on the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
I will let you know my FFIL is very well known microbiology research professor. He has a PhD in microbiology and has several students working on their PhD. He's had a couple girls who were pregnant while going to school and he said its really in the nature of the girl on how she'll do. Its up to you and you only on how determined you want to be. I'm working on my doctorate of pharmacy and this was the speach he gave me last fall when I first got pregnant. I really believe him... of course its harder than doing school w/out being pregnant but can be done. One thing to really consider though is what if you have a really rough pregnancy? I had great professors (mostly because of my FFIL) but i ended up on bed rest for 3 weeks and has my FFIL bring me my school work and then after bedrest had to go in on the weekends to catch up on lab work.
That is really helpful and I agree! I think you have to be cut out for it in the first place and then a little more if you want to add in a babe. That is great that your profs were flexible. I would get my PhD at the same school I got my Bachelors and Masters at so I know my professors pretty well. Here's my dream plan: Take two classes in the coming year (08/09). Get preggo in late Fall of 2009 and take classes that year. Then take Summer term off and return in fall 2010 at part time. That's the dream plan anyways! I'll report back in late 2009 with the real story!!! smile124.gif

Jessica-- we would have to struggle financially a bit too and that is what my FI is most reluctant about. We did it while I was getting my Master's but I think just starting out slow and seeing where life takes it will be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
who is he? I do microbilogy research. you can PM me if you don't want to put the name on the internet.
His name is James E. Gannon. He's now a research professor at the University of Montana. He gets called off to speak at all of the conventions and we always make a big family trip out of it. 2 years ago we went to Austria. This year we are headed to Australia (in just under 2 weeks). A few years back he took my fiance w/ him on a research trip to Africa for 36 days. We as a family enjoy the benefits of his job! Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
His name is James E. Gannon. He's now a research professor at the University of Montana. He gets called off to speak at all of the conventions and we always make a big family trip out of it. 2 years ago we went to Austria. This year we are headed to Australia (in just under 2 weeks). A few years back he took my fiance w/ him on a research trip to Africa for 36 days. We as a family enjoy the benefits of his job! Love it!
very cool research. It's not what I work in, but I'm interested in the applied environmental stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×