Jump to content

Photo

If You Work From Home...


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#11 Jessica

Jessica
  • VIP Member
  • 11,939 posts

    Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

    I am doing PR work from home for some extra cash this summer. But I sort of had an advantage in that I've done PR work in the past and it's for a friend's record label, so getting the position wasn't that hard.

    I was looking at things to do when I was first home. I wouldd still like to do some SAH work because although I'm going back to school in the fall, I'm also doing an internship.. so I'll be working, just not getting paid. I would really like to make at least a little money on the side. Like you though, I have no desire to do the standard WAH jobs (sales, daycare, etc).

    I am pretty artistic and love making jewelry so I guess in theory I could try and do that, but it's sort of a crap shoot. I'd prefer something a little more solid.

    I'm was also thinking of doing some web design work.

    #12 KimB81

    KimB81
    • Newbie
    • 12 posts

      Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

      I am a meeting planner for an event planning company. All of our staff works from home full-time from the meeting planners to sales people to graphic designers and IT.

      It is nice but sometimes I miss the social interaction that comes with being in an office. I talk to people on the phone alot but it's not the same!

      Kim

      #13 Martha

      Martha
      • VIP Member
      • 3,906 posts

        Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by STACEY
        Never say never... you could do a lot of things in order to stay home with you baby. I bet if you consider it you could do sales. As a teacher you do a lot of hand holding ie... you have to baby people, sales is the same way.

        I am just not a "go-getter" like I assume you have to be in sales? If someone told me "no," I would be like "ok, bye!" In other words, I wouldn't fight for the sale.


        Quote:
        Originally Posted by CaliaA07
        I'm trying to find a WOHM job too. It's hard. There's a forum called Work at Home Mom Mafia you should join. They list job oppurtunities and answer questions stuff like that.
        I'll have to look in to that, thanks!

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by JessicaLovesBrian
        I am doing PR work from home for some extra cash this summer. But I sort of had an advantage in that I've done PR work in the past and it's for a friend's record label, so getting the position wasn't that hard.

        I was looking at things to do when I was first home. I wouldd still like to do some SAH work because although I'm going back to school in the fall, I'm also doing an internship.. so I'll be working, just not getting paid. I would really like to make at least a little money on the side. Like you though, I have no desire to do the standard WAH jobs (sales, daycare, etc).

        I am pretty artistic and love making jewelry so I guess in theory I could ry and do that, but it's sort of a crap shoot. I'd prefer something a little more solid.

        I'm was also thinking of doig some web design work.
        Again, another thing I couldn't do...I am SO not artistic!

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by KimB81
        I am a meeting planner for an event planning company. All of our staff works from home full-time from the meeting planners to sales people to graphic designers and IT.

        It is nice but sometimes I miss the social interaction that comes with being in an office. I talk to people on the phone alot but it's not the same!

        Kim

        Ya, I am afraid I would miss out on socializing.....even though most of my socializing is done with elementary kids! ha!




        I have a BS in Criminology and Edcuation and will have a MS in Guidance and Counseling in a few weeks....which unfortunately doesn't leave me much choice of job options. Can't teach from home, unless I tutor, which doesn't leave me much room to make $. Kinda hard to provide counseling to people over the phone....

        Ugh. I guess I have to forget my dream of staying home with Noah for a year and start applying with school districts. Bummer,

        #14 Cassondra2009

        Cassondra2009
        • Jr. Member
        • 444 posts

          Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

          I don't work from home...but I was thinking you could possibly tutor for a couple of hours a day. I know you said daycare isn't your thing but tutoring is just like teaching and pays really well (in MA anyway). You may have to go to the kids home but that would only be for an hour or so a day. Just a thought.

          #15 Martha

          Martha
          • VIP Member
          • 3,906 posts

            Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:48 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Cassondra2009
            I don't work from home...but I was thinking you could possibly tutor for a couple of hours a day. I know you said daycare isn't your thing but tutoring is just like teaching and pays really well (in MA anyway). You may have to go to the kids home but that would only be for an hour or so a day. Just a thought.
            See, I always thought tutors didn't make that much money....I guess I could look in to that!

            #16 Cassondra2009

            Cassondra2009
            • Jr. Member
            • 444 posts

              Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

              My friend makes $40 an hour. I think thats alot...but maybe thats just me.

              #17 Martha

              Martha
              • VIP Member
              • 3,906 posts

                Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

                Ya, that's more than I thought....I guess if I had 4 or 5 kids a day I might be able to live. BUT, I don't think I could charge that much down here....But, that could be an option.

                #18 Cassondra2009

                Cassondra2009
                • Jr. Member
                • 444 posts

                  Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Just Martha
                  Ya, that's more than I thought....I guess if I had 4 or 5 kids a day I might be able to live. BUT, I don't think I could charge that much down here....But, that could be an option.
                  I think the trick is to find a rich family that needs a tutor and will pay out of pocket. Do you ever look at Craigslist.com? They usually have some type of tutoring positions.

                  #19 Martha

                  Martha
                  • VIP Member
                  • 3,906 posts

                    Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Cassondra2009
                    I think the trick is to find a rich family that needs a tutor and will pay out of pocket. Do you ever look at Craigslist.com? They usually have some type of tutoring positions.
                    I never even thought about Craigslist! See, I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks for the tip!

                    #20 Cassondra2009

                    Cassondra2009
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 444 posts

                      Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

                      No problem! Glad I could help.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users