DR Vaccinations?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Christi

• 1,905 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

Thanks guys...I don't have sensitive skin, but DH is a mosquito magnet...I think I'm going to get a precsription for the malaria meds just to be safe...

#22 IMPPEARL

• 336 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

My Dr. recommended the hep A and B (Twinrex) and the malaria medication. I however will not be getting them I just wanted the info for my guests also. We go down to Dominican or Cuba yearly and haven’t had a problem. That being said I always bring with me Pepto-Bismol, Imodium, Advil, and an anit-nauseant. I have learnt the hard way to be prepared. Sometimes we need it all sometimes none… but better safe then sorry.
      Need an Amazing Photographer? Phil Steingard and his colleagues are great!http://www.steingardstudios.com/

#23 Diva

• 682 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

Anybody travel there recently (post Haiti earthquake)? The CDC is saying that there have been cases of Cholera in the DR recently!!!

Also, malaria??!!

#24 Camy47

• 104 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

Great topic ladies! I'm struggling with some of the same issues myself; a few of my guests have been to the local travel clinic and it seems they are recommending all sorts of things for the DR: Twinrix, cholera, malaria, dukoral (for traveler's diarrhea) etc.

I've traveled to the DR before as well as Cuba, Mexico and Bahamas....and my doctor used to just recommend Twinrix for Hep A&B. I guess it comes down to your personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. Inform your guests of resources and let them make the decision. Just make sure you check your drug plans if you decide to get anything as some don't cover these types of vaccinations.

Here is some info I found on cholera from the Canadian government:

The main site has health advisories by country that I usually review before traveling anywhere.

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users